Share Experiences with Oval Chainrings

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

I'm converting my 26er 2x10 to 1x10 and curious about oval rings.

Which brands last longer? Lighter? Stiffer?

Difference in ovality?

How do they fare when jammed on a log or rock?

Do you usually size up? For example 32t round then use 34t oval?

Getter

by Getter

The clocking of the rings will depend on the rider. Everyone will react differently to them. The oval feels "smoother" to me. It feels like I have a better spin, especially when I have to speed up my cadence to get over a steep or tech section.

If you're using a 32T...then typically you'd stick with a 32T. The ovals are usually +/- 2 teeth at max and min points on the ring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

I started cramping from it?

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Itsadrianduminy - what gear set up did you change from and what did you change to?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Unless you did several dozen tests with each, and eliminated all other variables (hydration, diet, temperature, humidity, windspeed, UVI, etc.), saying they made you cramp is a bit ridiculous.

Marin

by Marin

I don't think it is.

If he didn't change anything else, it's quite plausible. Science doesn't mean controlling for ridiculous, unconnected factors.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

So, you're willing to ignore his hydration and diet, yet assume the chainring could be 100% responsible for CRAMPS?

Seriously?

Marin

by Marin

That's not what I SAID!

Seriously!

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

Okay all I said was I started cramping from it.. Went from a 32T round 1X10 setup to the same 32t, but oval.. No changes to training, diet, or anything else.. At first I thought it made me pedal more naturally and all that.. Really thought this was it.. And then came my first race.. Did great, leading it, as usual, until halfway through my legs randomly started cramping, to the extent of nit being able to ride further, or even stretch, because as I would try and stretch my thighs, my hamstrings would cramp up, and vice versa.. So I don't know.. Apparently it's different for everyone, so why not give it a shot?

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

What was your exact set up specs?

Which brand of oval ring?

Itsadrianduminy wrote:Okay all I said was I started cramping from it.. Went from a 32T round 1X10 setup to the same 32t, but oval.. No changes to training, diet, or anything else.. At first I thought it made me pedal more naturally and all that.. Really thought this was it.. And then came my first race.. Did great, leading it, as usual, until halfway through my legs randomly started cramping, to the extent of nit being able to ride further, or even stretch, because as I would try and stretch my thighs, my hamstrings would cramp up, and vice versa.. So I don't know.. Apparently it's different for everyone, so why not give it a shot?

Getter

by Getter

It takes some time for your muscles to adapt. When I first got a set of Q-Rings for my road bike...my quads would be sore after a ride. No changes in route or riding style. The oval rings load your muscles in a different way compared to the round ones. That's why Rotor recommends to go easier until you're done with the "adaptation period".

Rotor has a picture of what muscles are used at certain parts of the pedal stroke.

DanW

by DanW

Do you usually size up? For example 32t round then use 34t oval?

I am using Absolute Black 34T when I'd normally use a 32T.

Which brands last longer? Lighter? Stiffer?

Any 1x ring lasts forever compared to a double so don't be concerned by durability. Even my Extralite (non-oval) seemed hard to destroy or wear out. Absolute Black make the lightest oval rings to the best of my knowledge and you'll never find them lacking for stiffness. Again, a 1x ring is a different kettle of fish to a double ring

How do they fare when jammed on a log or rock?

It's a chainring. It'll fare the same as any other chainring. Having a smaller ring up front does give you more clearance though and you'd have to be pretty special to be smacking a 32-4T chainring on anything

Difference in ovality?

The manufacturers besides Rotor seem to have made something that looks about right and isn't Biopace. Rotor rings can be (micro) adjusted (with the MAS spider) but you start getting in to very geeky levels of detail and need a power meter- even then the gain from adjustment is not cut and dried. End result, all are much of a muchness.

Because I am an utter buffoon I even managed to fit the them 180 degrees the wrong way to start off with (flipped to the dreaded Biopace orientation) and was convinced I was stronger/ faster/ whatever. Only when the chainline seemed wrong did I notice my mistake and see the power of a good placebo. It felt weird swapping them to the correct orientation for a few days then everything felt normal again.

I have both round and oval rings and my legs or head can't tell the difference. Oval rings didn't revolutionize my world but they didn't do any harm either which seems to be most people's honest conclusion. Next time my MTB needs a chainring it'll still be oval... just because I guess

Itsadrianduminy

by Itsadrianduminy

My setup was:

Merida Big Nine 3000 Stock 1x10.
Used it exactly the same before and when using oval ring.
Used a 32T Absolute Black Oval ring. Usually use a 34T round. I think I may have discontinued use before the "Adaption period" was over. Sorry if my comment was misleading. I now may actually reconsider as I definitely found one helluva increase in grip and smoothness. Might actually complete the "Adaption period" this time! Thanks for the advice.

Peace :P

pptso

by pptso

I went from 32 round to 32 oval Garbaruk ring. I feel pedaling is smoother, especially getting over the dead spot usually, also, it has improved recovery from one ride to the next.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com