7kg (just over) race bike - Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SebK

by SebK

I have the Haven on the back end which is a stronger wheel than the Enve .

No way is that shock superior to the Brain . You don't even have FSR on that thing . Mixing both the FSR and Brain is the ultimate set up .

Faster handling means you can turn better and jump the bike better (being lighter helps too) .

I run low cadence rather than high cadence . If I had tiny legs then of course I would have a higher cadence .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Leg size has nothing to do with sustainable aerobic power production...

And no, the Haven is not stronger than the Enve.

You keep on spouting tripe, and I'll keep refuting it.

SebK

by SebK

you know so much about design huh ?!!! Wow keep em' coming .

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Tell me. How do you KNOW that the Haven is stronger than the Enve?

SebK

by SebK

Well I could ask you the same question about the Enve being stronger . The fact that the Easton has larger flanges on the hub, the fact that it has deeper rims that are non-carbon is a start .

LeDuke

by LeDuke

You're the one who originally stated that the Haven is stronger.

Prove it.

Also, Easton hubs are shit.

SebK

by SebK

Old Easton hubs are . The new ones aren't . You really are boring me kid . What are you 20- 28 ?!!! Damn !!!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm not bored of you just yet.

Although, I find it interesting that you attempt to demean me by implying that I am young. Or that I am otherwise inexperienced.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I had a set of Havens and practically had to give the things away. Worst purchase I've made.
Having owned a Specialized Stumpjumper like the one pictured here in 2008, I can say that it was a good bike, at the time. However, it can't compare in the slightest to my current bike, a 2015 Trek Superfly FS. Like LeDuke, I actually race my bikes, and I haven't seen anyone racing competitively in Cat 1 on a creation like like the one here in this thread. While I respect your work and think you have done some cool things, you really need to change your attitude. Personally I think you should throw all your parts on a HT frame, because your setup makes no sense to me.

SebK

by SebK

It won't make sense to someone who hasn't ridden it and there in lies the problem . With so many designs that are different people alway dismiss it thinking because it doesn't look normal or it is a completely different setup to what they are used to it simply won't work . This is why innovation can sometimes take a step back not forward . Engineers are always trying new/different designs as no one else will or can . The fact that my bike works is only experienced by myself . The fact that it rides better than my friends bikes (who one has an Enve wheelset by the way) and the fact that the concept does work only cements these facts . People don't like crazy ideas, change or something out of the ordinary simply because they cannot hack it . They like being like others and going what th market throws at them . It's not all great you know . The market is now using for Di2 on MTBs now and even electronic rear shocks . Why ?!!! There is nothing wrong with what we have now . They should concentrate on improving the present tech we have now by making it lighter and more functional . Soon we will have electric bikes full of exposed wires and batteries that can easily be broken in a crash . You forget to charge your battery then you cannot shift . Mark my words in a few years when more and more bikes have this tech they will look back at our bikes and think they are shi* .

Oh and on the Easton wheelset - well you were unfortunate . Granted the older versions were cra* (bearings ) but mine isn't (newer version) . Only my rear is the haven . My front is the EA70 carbon which is awesome .

LeDuke I'm only having a go at you because you started the whole argument . If you were nice to me in your first post then i wouldn't have argued back . Respect is given only to when it is received .

Exar

by Exar

Guys ignore the troll (SebK), it should be obvious that he's taking the piss out of everyone here by bolting a bucketload of weird parts to an older FS frame. The 'EA70 carbon' part is especially hilarious, as is the 'i dont trust carbon frames but i do trust carbon handlebars/saddles/forks/chainrings' part.

However, SebK, you've had your fun, time to move on.
Chains to the right!

DanW

by DanW

Agreed, however there seems to be a lot of fans for this type of thing on Google+ :shock:

Seb, you clearly like tuning and doing something out of the norm is commendable and may even work for you with what you enjoy to ride and there is nothing wrong with that... but trying to claim you come up with the fastest bike ever and could beat anyone anywhere and making some very odd "engineering" claims... hmmm... The Gorrick Series is right on your doorstep if you fancy a decent MTB ride off the internetz

There's nothing especially wrong with the bike if it suits you and makes you happy but you lose all sympathy with the other claims and attitude, sorry.

SebK

by SebK

Keep the insults coming guys . All good to me . Starting to make me dislike this site even more though .

A carbon wheelset has a much lighter rotational weight hence why I like them . I don't trust carbon framesets as there is simply more to get damaged than small carbon parts . If you don't get that then you clearly are stupid .

It's amazing how I show you one of my bikes and instantly think negatively because it doesn't fall in line to what you expect . Shows how narrow minded some of you clearly are .

I haven't claimed my bike is the fastest - just faster than LeDuke and a few that I have seen on here .

Oh and the reason for my attitude is quite simple - bad comments towards me, not being welcomed when joining and quite frankly not enough basis to the negativity thrown my way . So because my frame is older, not carbon and I have a different set up is all reason for this attitude .

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Do you know what Crr is?

Exar

by Exar

"A carbon wheelset has a much lighter rotational weight hence why I like them" - which is why I like them as well, however, Easton Haven rims are not light, the Enve's that somebody else posted are very, very light.

You're not being welcomed because even though you're surrounded by open-minded people who appreciate light bikes and experimenting with weird carbon stuff and are (in general) quite knowledgeable about how a bike should function, you think of your opinion as the single truth. You post this wonderful-but-really-weird Stumpy and expect people to just offer praise instead of question your choices? Anybody who knows a thing about mountain bikes should start asking questions when they see this contraption that you've built, honestly, because it (as a bike) is just really, really far from what anybody with basic bike knowledge would have built.

This 'you can either agree with me or be wrong' attitude isn't going to get you anywhere.

Concluding, you're a troll, a genius, or both, but the troll part is getting annoying.
Chains to the right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com