7kg (just over) race bike - Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

You're new from september 24, post a load of stuff quite fast and then this thread, which makes me think you want to reach 30 posts quickly to avcess the sale section.

Then, you call people idiots and argue over your weird bike. Get the f-- over it and stop being a dick. You're bringing the quality of the ww community down. You should remain quiet for a while and look arround the forum to see what people are actually doijng with bike parts and carbon fiber.

There seems to be a consensus here, you're bike is a freak bike and is a non sense build for a mtb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SebK

by SebK

Devinci - I don't know anything about a sale section . I get all my stuff from other sources anyway . You're right I'm still trying to figure this site out . He called me an imbecile so i call him an idiot and you concentrate on what I said ?!!! You're very bias towards others I can see . My bike is clearly a mtb and it works . If you cannot understand that then again you are just another cyclist who has no engineering background and no clue . You are the one being a di** anyway for calling me a troll . I don't think I have the power to bring this site down so again you are just plucking at straws . To me it's people like you bringing the site down with bad attitudes and very arrogant views of others . Look at what you and the others are doing . You are commenting on MY post and being incredibly insulting to me which by default makes you a di** . Just pi** off and leave my posts alone if you have nothing positive to say .

SebK

by SebK

I honestly think the companies/engineers who join this site are more respectful . They understand logic better and they can appreciate new/crazy ideas . You can design something out of the norm, get it to work and still get ridiculed just because it looks different . My bike is more custom than most that I have seen on this site (I have been looking at it the last few years but never wanted to join) . So just because I have an alloy frame, a front rigid rear shock concept you don't like it .Well that's fine then . So :up: yours if you don't like what I have and what I can do because you know you never will . Oh and full respect to the engineers and companies on here .

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

This thread is funny :)

The thing is, you can subjectively say that your bike is faster than what you have ridden before. That's fine by me. However, comparing your (SebK) bike to others, just by looking at their components, and then making up that your bike is faster than theirs is a ridiculous statement that can only be laughed at in my opinion. I like to think that people that present actual numbers, will be taken seriously (we're here for numbers anyway, right?), however, I've not seen you do that.

SebK

by SebK

Why can't people post more stuff like this without being insulting ?!!! Anyway you are right sir . I need to show numbers . By default though if a bike is lighter it's faster (well on the climbs anyway) .

mattr

by mattr

What about Crr and aerodynamic drag, they play a significant part in climbing speed.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The way I see it, most people in the beginning were curious, asking questions about your setup and what trails you ride. Some even gave you credit for the choice of parts. However, you didn't really give any answers to the questions that were asked...

If we're talking road climbs, then I might agree with you. Off road, there are many variables to take into account besides weight (geometry and suspension setup being two of those).

LeDuke

by LeDuke

mattr wrote:What about Crr and aerodynamic drag, they play a significant part in climbing speed.

Which is what I keep on alluding to.

I've asked him, three times, if he knows what Crr is; no answer.

wingguy

by wingguy

I didn't start the argument so how am I the arrogant one ?!!! ... Anyway don't comment on my post if you have nothing relevant to say you idiot .

The last sentence of that post is the answer to the first sentence :roll:

wingguy

by wingguy

SebK wrote:My bike is clearly a mtb and it works.

Well sure, it works as in you can ride it.

But does it race XC as well as any conventional $12K bike, or shred trails as well? No, not even close.

SebK

by SebK

I'm not responding to LeDuke anymore .

As in if the bike can xc race like a conventional 12k bike (as in pound sterling not dollars) then the answer is most definitely . I wouldn't put so much effort into the concept if it didn't . i haven't put enough detail into what I have done to the bike and just by looking at the picture you all think you know better than me . Well that's funny in itself . So wingguy slow the attitude down and think before you post . Seriously I will start reporting if nothing is kept to a sensible level . If you have nothing logical to say then shut up .

LeDuke

by LeDuke

You're going to report us for what, exactly?

Asking you to explain your component choices? Asking if you understand simple concepts like Crr?

Go ahead. Report me.

DanW

by DanW

Seb, I also asked what do you like to ride, where do you tend to ride and what is your Engineering background to get some context for the project. No responses to any.

WW is a community and the dialog is two way. Don't take thing so personally and attack everyone who questions what is on the face of it an "unconventional" bike shall we say :thumbup: Moaning to your fanbois on elsewhere (which is linked in this very thread) isn't a great recipe for success either

£12k Wingguy! Not Dollars!

If we agree that the rigid front, sus rear is a good idea and look past the communication issues for a second in the interest of constructive criticism then I would have put some of that £12,000 towards a 2013 Cannondale Scalpel or even an older frame like a Trek STP to save a lot of weight and balance better with the rigid front concept. I'd also select a better (handling, weight, cost) fork and build some 1200g 650B wheels (to stay compatible with the Scalpel) with better rubber, maybe even tubs to help with the comfortable yet rigid theme. For racing in the real world there would also be a 36t max chainring but you know that already :D Much lighter, much more practical and undoubtedly overall much faster for XCO

SebK

by SebK

Must have missed that . I started off studying books on building tools (thing like wrenches, screwdrivers etc ) at my university (while studying computer science) . I then moved onto building small parts like chainguides, mudguards - you know the simple things . I also started making bike rack, stands and even a bike shed out of wood . i then progressed onto working with prepreg and machining parts out of billets . Increasingly I added more tools to my collection and started using more powerful tools like jigsaws, cutting discs, grinders etc . My education is IT but for the last 15 years I have been building, designing and coming up with ideas in the cycling industry .

I can understand why my bike is getting all the negative comments because it is different . Seriously you would need to ride it to think otherwise .The absolute only reason why I am being negative is simple - you are all being negative to me and taking the pi** out of my bike . If y'all gave constructive criticism like DanW then I would calm down and be happier but saying my bike is a freak and I don't belong here and I am a troll is outrageous . If I started taking the pi** out of your rides how would you feel about me ?!!! I am slowly getting positive comments on my other posts so I am thinking a bit more positive about this site . I even got advised not to reply to comments for this sort of thing but it's cool .I will now only respond to better constructive comments and not the half a** cra* I have been receiving so far .

Appreciate the better comment DanW :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

So a tinkerer rather than an Engineer, which makes much more sense.

Mattr BEng (Hons) Mech Eng (Design) (and some other letters which have probably expired as i've not paid dues for three or four years :oops: )