My very own brake rotor

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SebK

by SebK

I made this not long ago . A lot of work so best to go to my G+ page (type in 'carbon fibre in the search box and click on 'SebK'):

Marin

by Marin

And no crossposting ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SebK

by SebK

Well this rotor can be used on the new road bikes . Well any disc hub . You're right though - keep it MTB :) !!!

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

This seems unsafe...

SebK

by SebK

Seems unsafe - in reality fully tested and perfectly safe .

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Tested on a 26" MTB with rigid fork, single 43t chainring and FS frame.

Yeah. I'll pass.

SebK

by SebK

You guys obviously know more than an engineer !!! It works but hey if you don't think so then that's fine :) !!!

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

What size rotor? Ashima ai2 is 66-62g

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Nice idea, but it's heavier than my alligator lightweight (72g) and hardly lighter than my A2Z aluminium spider (with a fuller braking surface than your's and 89g), needs more work to make any sense I'm afraid. Also you've offset the braking part from the correct location, although probably OK with PM mounts.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

mattr

by mattr

And you've removed 1/3 of the clamping face on each bolt. On a material which is notorious for slipping.

What sort of engineer are you?

SebK

by SebK

There is epoxy resin (industrial strength) as well as the bolts holding the steel outer ring .

It's 160mm size .

Don't forget the carbon spider decreases the amount of flex compared to those steel narrow rotors (1.8mm diameter all the way through) .

In response to mattr removing the top sections of the bolts does nothing in terms of tensile strength . They are a permanent fix (with the resin) so to answer your question I'm a good engineer :) !!!

mattr

by mattr

What?

I mean the clamping face between the bolt, disc and hub. The disc is held in place by friction between hub/disc and disc/bolt. Removing 1/3rd of the friction surface is going to give you odd loadings in the bolt, reducing the end load. You'd have been better off having 3 correctly installed and loaded bolts, than 6 half cocked bolts with out of spec loadings.

What sort of engineer are you?

SebK

by SebK

Ah I see what you mean . Well glad you are insulting me as it just cements the lack of character you have. anyway I took the idea from Kettle Cycles . The bolt heads being wide enough support the rotor pretty well . As long as the bolts are torqued correctly there is no failure . Again you are commenting with no experience of using this rotor . No movement from the spider and no cracks or anything from the carbon .

mattr

by mattr

Kettle use slots. Or holes.
Which provide a stable surface to clamp against.

And you can take it as an insult if you like. No skin off my nose.

DanW

by DanW

Quaxar have a 160mm rotor for 67g, KCNC is 72g and Alligator 76g.... all £15-20. Even Hope X2 is lighter and offers significantly improved all weather braking compared to the other lighter, cheap rotors. What is the intended advantage of this custom rotor?

Also interested to know more about the background as the tinkering and thought going in to stuff has to be commended. Plumbers call themselves heating "engineers"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com