2014 Giant Anthem X1 29er - best way to drop weight?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jetlau3

by jetlau3

Hey all,

I have a 2014 Giant Anthem X1 29er - currently weighs in at a portly 29.5 lbs with a Rockshox Reverb dropper post, Shimano SPD M520 pedals, an Ergon SME3 Pro Saddle, and a Garmin 1000 mounted to the stem.

The stock Giant P-XC2 wheelset is stock but converted to tubeless and I'm running a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in the rear.

Would love your thoughts on how to lose a few pounds and recommendations on what parts to replace. I'm guessing the play is a lighter set of wheels. If I had around $500 for a new wheelset, what should I get and how much weight could I lose? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gfeldy

by gfeldy

Sell it. Until they come out with a full carbon Anthem you'll just be wasting $$$$
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

DanW

by DanW

No offence but you have pretty much the heaviest everything you could put on an XC bike so it is no wonder it is overall very porky. I have to agree with gfeldy that you'd be wasting money to try and lose weight in even a couple of components and significant £££.

jetlau3

by jetlau3

Maybe I'm explaining it from a wrong angle. I'm not a XC racer but I enjoy riding XC trails. I was doing the same trails with a Giant Talon 27.5 1 with the 650b wheelsize. That bike, without the full suspension weighed 30 lbs so 1 lb more than this bike with the 29ers and the full suspension. Hoping to get down to the 26 lb range with this current bike which I would be very happy with.

When you say heaviest everything, are you referencing components and wheels?

DanW

by DanW

By heaviest everything, I mean it sounds like every component right down to the GPS is as heavy as you can get on an XC bike. You're going to need to swap a lot of components and spend a lot of money to drop those lbs

Only you can decide if the investment is worth it. Weight everything on your current bike, find true weight of components you like the look of and aren't too expensive or too XC for you and see if the weight saving is good value.

Pieter

by Pieter

Lighter wheels + tires could save you a lot of weight.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

As others mentioned, just about every component you have on your bike is one of the heaviest options out there.

And, as others have suggested, take your bike apart. Weigh everything. Make a spreadsheet with those weights, and next to it, make columns for the weights of lighter alternatives that suit your needs.

From there, add prices. Then, do a $/grams analysis. See which components are going to be the best bang for your buck.

jetlau3

by jetlau3

Pieter wrote:Lighter wheels + tires could save you a lot of weight.

Any recommendations for a wheelset? was thinking about Stan's No Tubes Crest or AC Wide Lightnings.

Also: Is the 2.35 Hans Dampf in the front overkill? Feels like it has great traction. What would you guys recommend?

gfeldy

by gfeldy

I think we should all ask what your budget is? We could probably blow all of it on the wheels so how much are you looking to spend? This could lead us back to my original statement.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
Kitsbow
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

jetlau3

by jetlau3

gfeldy wrote:I think we should all ask what your budget is? We could probably blow all of it on the wheels so how much are you looking to spend? This could lead us back to my original statement.

Was thinking of spending about $1000 to lighten up the bike a little.

Don't think I'll be upgrading the SLX/XT groupset as it doesn't seem the best way to spend the money.

Handlebar is already carbon, seatpost is a dropper which I use, and Saddle isn't super super heavy. Wheels are probably the best bet.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

I don't think you'll hit 26lbs but wheels are your best option given your budget. Although you wont get very far with 1k. Check our fairwheel, Jason might be able to build you something light for a good price. Then use the rest on a XO1 group with a woolftooth chain ring that is compatible with your current crank.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
Kitsbow
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

rapsac

by rapsac

Alu Anthem X 29 with 2x10 gearing below 10 kg:
http://www.mountainbike.nl/forum/viewto ... 14&t=86764

A different alu Anthem with original weights vs replacements:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jetlau3

by jetlau3

Thanks everyone.

Can I get you guys to weigh in on what wheelset is most appropriate?

I am considering Stan's ZTR Arch Exs which will weigh in at around 1800g.

Also thinking about American Classic Wide Lightnings which are more expensive but lighter at around 1590g.

Anything else to consider? Would love it if you guys tossed out some options.

I'm about 165 lbs.