New 29er carbon ht frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

juuzo

by juuzo

I'm going to update my race 29er and now I'm thinking what frame to choose. Some options that I have been thinking so you get idea of my budget.
Canyon grand canyon cf slx
Niner air 9 carbon (maybe rdo)

Other requirements, 12x142 rear axle, takes 100mm fork, light enough :)
What do you recommend?

DanW

by DanW

Some options that I have been thinking so you get idea of my budget.
Niner air 9 carbon (maybe rdo)

So that leaves virtually any frame on the market open to you as the RDO's are far from cheap! The requirements are too broad (huge budget, 100mm 29er with a bolt thru) at the moment so you'll probably just get people recommending whatever they bought themselves.

What else is important? Geometry/ tyre clearance/ cable routing/ headset type/ BB type/ SS-able/ weight/ integration of other components/ need to be different/ etc? If you have any preferences there then that will certainly narrow things down for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

juuzo

by juuzo

Frame should be available small enough for 170cm rider, about 580mm TT or little smaller. (Sorry about using metric system cause I live in Europe) Headset definetely tapered, tyre clearance for 2,25" so not a problem any of frames these days. Groupset will be 1x11 XO1 so no SS drops and I don't mind if cables are internal or external at least I have full housing for rear derailleur.

Btw. Rdo niner frame approx. 1800€ and Canyon cf slx frame 1700€ so I would say that budget is 1200-1800€

barrysvt

by barrysvt

check out the Velovie Vetta 29er frame.
meets all your needs and a 17" frame is 1180g
Now on sale for 500 USD at:
http://www.velovie.com/ProductDetails.a ... vettaframe

at this price, more of your budget can go towards better wheels
1956 Rudge Sport
1994 Carbonframes Tetra Pro
(re-branded to Calfee 2006)
2010 Trek Top Fuel
2015 Velovie Vetta
2020 OPEN WI.DE.

juuzo

by juuzo

I'm thinking about 1800€ frame, not 500€. Just found out that canyon brings exceed cf slx in the market soon. With 870g frame I think thats my choice.

Sacke

by Sacke

In the last few years, I have been riding on.

- 26" Cannondale Scalpel Carbon
- 26" Cannondale Flash Carbon
- 29" Cannondale Scalpel Carbon
- 29" Cannondale F29 Carbon
- 29" Cannondale Scalpel Carbon... again.

Today, I picked up a 2015 Focus Raven 29R 3.0 Factory hardtail. I got it at 30% discount, and with the bike weighing in at 9,9kg with stock parts, it was a steal at 2500€.

I rode it the first time today, and I have to say that I am mightily impressed! Almost nobody around here rides Focus mountain bikes, so I had no expectations at all. But the moment I got on the trails, I was sold on it.

The geometry of the frame is very, very nice and felt even better that the hardtail Cannondale 29ers that I have ridden. There are spots on my favourite loop where I would struggle to point the front end of the Scalpel Carbon through technical climbs, but the Focus today just went so nicely on the first try.

There is a second spot that I will try later in the week, where I have never been able to ride up the entire hill with any of the Cannondales. That will be the real test of the bikes climbing prowess.

Another surprise was a strech of fire road where the surface has a lot of 10-15cm diameter loose rocks. I was expecting the Focus to shatter my teeth out of my mouth on that section, but the Focus actually felt better than the Scalpel.

The rear is well damped, and you can notice dropping off curbs that the rear end feels like it would have landed on a sticky surface. That feeling is of course very brief, but it doesn't feel as "bouncy" as for example the F29 carbon.

The only bad thing is not having a Lefty. On twisty single track, the Reba RL on the bike is far from as nice as the newer Leftys. The feeling can certainly be in part due to being confident in how the X-king 2.2's behave when pushing the limits.

Focus launched the Raven Max for 2016, which would be extremely high on my bucket list if I were to get a new frame today. (if it's available as frameset only).

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The Cannondale F-Si is a much better bike than the F29 in my opnion. And because the head tube length now differ with size, it's much better suited to smaller riders.

JackWalk

by JackWalk

syLee1 wrote:nonono
nono

Please stop spamming and go back to Google plus

kenz76

by kenz76

the_marsbar wrote:The Cannondale F-Si is a much better bike than the F29 in my opnion. And because the head tube length now differ with size, it's much better suited to smaller riders.

agree! I also didn't like the F29 feel, even my old 650b Scalpel felt much better. The F-Si on the other hand is the perfect bike! :thumbup:

juuzo

by juuzo

I haven't decide yet what to have. Canyon doesn't inform much about exceed but lets see... F-Si might also be good choice especially with lefty.

juuzo

by juuzo

Still looking for new frame. Exceed delivery time goes to july...

machine4321

by machine4321

If I was going on looks alone, the canyon looks great. Fsi seems to get great praise. I loved my f29 but wanted "standard" equipment and i had no dealer support near me. That was the reason I didnt look into the Fsi.

I chose the Rocky vertex in the end for the geometry. Some of the shortest stays, mid way headtube angle and around 1000g weight. Not a very popular frame set but Ive been very happy with it.

juuzo

by juuzo

Some of the frames looks like very hard to get in small sizes. Many webshops lists frames size m and upwards. I just noticed that all cannondales in s-size are 27,5"... I really want 29er so cannondale is out.

peled

by peled

I am 172 cm and the Trek Procaliber 17.5" with 8 cm stem is perfect for me.

At the moment with heavy parts and wheels and weight including pedals and bottle cages 9.9 kg.

With racing wheels take off 300 gr and with the new Fox 100 xc will shade another 200-250 gr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com