Effect of changing Lefty to longer travel Lefty?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eddomak

by eddomak

Hi,

I have done a search and can't seem to find an answer, and am a MTB noob, so was looking for some help.

I am considering buying a 2nd hand Cannondale Rush 2007 Carbon, and the current owner has changed out the original lefty (110mm travel) to one with 140mm travel.

Can someone tell me what would be the effect of this? Is it detrimental to handling/performance?

From what I can tell, I can put in different spacers etc to get it back down to the original travel of 110mm if necessary - is this right? And would doing so return the handling back to the original factory design?

Thanks in advance for your help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaker

by Jaker

The travel reducers will not "shorten" the Lefty. They go between the top of the damper and the inside of the top of the Lefty itself. It simply prevents the Lefty from compressing further than wanted. The A-C length will be approx. 30mm longer which will raise the front of your frame about the same amount. This will slacken the geometry and make climbing somewhat more difficult as well as slow the responsiveness of the steering.

eddomak

by eddomak

Thanks for that - so if I understand correctly:

1) The extra 30mm travel is not just within the lefty, it also required the body of the lefty to be lengthened

as a result...

2) The A-C length will change and it will therefore change geometry (thanks heaps for the effects!)

and...

3) it isn't possible to just slide the lefty up 3cm within its mounts to achieve the original geometry

4) Limiting travel is possible in case there was too much diving...

madsry

by madsry

I just sold the frame I was using my Lefty 110 on and tried to learn what I could about them while I was still intent on customizing it. I was going to use my Lefty to run a 27.5 front wheel on a 26 frame, tweaking the geometry a bit while also getting a small rollover benefit from the larger front wheel and keeping travel in check to prevent brake dive. As you may know, Lefties can generally accommodate all 3 wheel sizes with proper spacers.

Getting back on topic, it depends on which model of Lefty it is as to whether the clamps are fixed or if they allow the fork body to be adjusted at all. Most of the newer Lefties have the bonded clamps.

In any case, Lefties are quite unique and can allow for some interested customizations. I didn't see my project through and now I wish that I would have hung in there. I had accumulated nearly all of the parts needed, just needed to grab a 27.5 rim and spokes to go with a Lefty hub that I have.

Oh, and if the Lefty is new enough, you can also fit some of the newer dampers, giving further options yet!

madsry

by madsry

One more thing. You may want to keep asking around. You MIGHT be able to shorten a Lefty's travel AND axle to crown. I'm not the expert here, but I'm pretty certain that fork lengthening is possible on certain forks. I'm not sure how much surgery that requires and what parts that might require, and it may not be worth the effort vs just buying a shorter travel Lefty, but it would be worth seeking out the info. I've been surprised more than once at the options available.

Jaker

by Jaker

Without knowing which Lefty you're talking about, it's a little more difficult to make recomendations. Like madsry said, you can slide the shock body up and down in the clamps on some models, but most later model Leftys have either bonded clamps, or the clamps are physically part of the housing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com