where can i buy Speedplay Frog titanium axles?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MaLóL

by MaLóL

Hello weight weenies,

I own a pair of marvellous speedplay frog ti pedals. i recently bought a set of new bearings, but i guess i will have to buy a new axles, so the play will be gonne. The outside of the pedal is in great shape and cleats were replaced recently. Pedals are about 12 years old and i love them, don't wanna change to another system.

Perhaps i can also buy a shorter spindle somewhere to reduce q-factor?

please let me know. thanks a lot and best regards.
Happy trails !!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaLóL

by MaLóL

Colin wrote:Try this guy
http://www.titaniumspindles.com/

thanks a lot. i just contacted them, but i think they don't make frog ti axles... let's see what they tell me.

any other possible source?
Happy trails !!!!!

Colin

by Colin

I've heard of him making them for Speedplay road pedals, I'd be surprised if they can't make them for the frogs.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

Colin wrote:I've heard of him making them for Speedplay road pedals, I'd be surprised if they can't make them for the frogs.

great then. let's see what they tell me. although on the website they only sell CB axles. maybe that's just because those have more demand. hopefully they have axles for my frogs!!
Happy trails !!!!!

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

Oh, they sell plenty of Speedplay spindles. I bought a set last month. (Great stuff, by the way.) They just don't advertise them on the web site because Speedplay is litigious and petty, and sics their lawyers on anyone making aftermarket parts. I'd be surprised if they couldn't help you.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

allezkmiec wrote:Oh, they sell plenty of Speedplay spindles. I bought a set last month. (Great stuff, by the way.) They just don't advertise them on the web site because Speedplay is litigious and petty, and sics their lawyers on anyone making aftermarket parts. I'd be surprised if they couldn't help you.

I see, that's a good reason not to advertise the speedplay axles then. Although frog axles are different from the rest of speedplay pedals, that's why you can easily find speedplay zero axles on ebay, but not for the frog... let's see what they tell me.

do you have experience with shorter pedal axles to shorten the q factor? is it a good idea? do the shoes touch the cranks more often this way?

thanks.
Happy trails !!!!!

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

I went with shorter spindles to reduce the Q factor, and it doesn't cause my shoes to rub the cranks... but they're a lot closer now. I suspect they may rub a little bit when it's cold and I wear booties. If your shoes are already very close to the cranks, and your cleats are moved out as far as they go, I wouldn't get shorter spindles. If you have plenty of room, however, I say go for it.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

I finally managed to contact Wade from www.titaniumspindles.com He told me they don't produce spindles for the speedplay frogs so... he said he can make them but minimun rder would be 10 units so...

any other source for these titanium axles?
Happy trails !!!!!

blasdelf

by blasdelf

I think he's probably the best bet, he knows what he's doing and has the materials ready to go.

I'd definitely go in for a pair or two of short ti spindles with you.

If it doesn't pan out I do have access to a lathe, but it'd be a huge pain in the ass and I'd probably end up making short stainless spindles instead of trying to machine ti. Plus I'd barely be comfortable making some for myself, much less other people, especially considering my lack of liability insurance.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

seems like the only solution would be to keep my spindles with play, or just buy the whole new pedal kit...
Happy trails !!!!!

Colin

by Colin

Buy 10 sets, and sell the other 9 on ebay with a reasonable price increase, and make some profit! :D

blasdelf

by blasdelf

^ you'd get blacklisted from ebay because Richard Bryne (Speedplay founder) is a goddamn maniac and his lawyer works for free :roll:

MaLóL

by MaLóL

Ok, I understand...

Although i also understand that I am allowed to fabricate my own spindles, just not sell them or not use the word speedplay, I can keep the 10 pairs for myself or give them to friends or people who use these pedals, as a gift... hahahahahaha
Happy trails !!!!!

MaLóL

by MaLóL

ok, thanks a lot for the answers. gonna make some research... anybody who needs speedplay frog new spindles, please let me know, maybe we could complete the order, I would keep myself with 2 pairs only (so i have a replacement for after the next 10.000km).

Don't want to put an ad on ebay if that's a problem or ilegal. I don't wanna make money either, just get a spindles that are not as expensive as a new set of pedals.

what do you think? anyone interested?
Happy trails !!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com