sram gripshift + esi grips

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tinchy

by tinchy

hi all

is anyone running sram xo shifters with esi grips?

I want to do this but doesnt the grip and shifter part of the sram system lock together?
As in if I were to get rid of the stock 'locking' grip and replace with an esi grip, would the shifter part stay put?

thanks

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jepas

by Jepas

I don't understand your question. I have done this before (9 spd system) without any concerns.

(online picture, but that illustrates my point)

tinchy

by tinchy

ok, see image below

the sram shifter and grip lock together, with esi replacement you wont have the locking together...

Jepas

by Jepas

Ok, so this is new regarding the 9 speed version. Still, I believe you can use the ESI grips without the locking since neither ESI or the shifter will slide during MTB use.

nickcube

by nickcube

If you do the bolt up on the shifter up you'll be just fine, imo the sram gripshift grips are waaaay too wide. Just follow the usual procedures with putting the esi grips on, I'm just about to put on a set of lizard skin dsp's(32.2mm) which are around about the same diameter as the gripshift

grover

by grover

SRAM included a plastic piece in the box that fills the void where the stock grip would normally interlock for when people want to use other grips. So yes ESI grips are fine with gripshift.

tinchy

by tinchy

OK thanks guys

yeah Ive heard of this plastic ring sram provide if not using stock grips but unfortunately I did not purchase the sifters separately and dont think the plastic rings came with the bike. I'll crack on...

nickcube

by nickcube

Yeah they do usually come with that little ring, I don't believe it's a biggie if you don't have them though. Depending on your bike store maybe pop in and see if they've got any, could be worth a crack

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I've used cut down foam grips (Pork rinds in this case) with a gripshift on my commuter for the last 4 years with no plastic ring....
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

tinchy

by tinchy

thanks again

i should imagine it will be fine without the little ring....il try that first anyway :up:

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Ive used it with and without the ring. No issues at all (xx1). My recommendation would be to use the Extra Chunky ESIs though..the transition is nicer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com