Killer tire setup puncture proof

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hobie

by hobie

So in an effort to never have a flat again. This is the best setup for everyone to run. Especially in endurance races.

So I am running Michelin dry xc pro ust tires on a no name China rim brake wheelset that was 50 bucks on Amazon with ball bearings I had to grease myself.

Michelin Tires are 500 grams.
Wheelset is 2100 grams

Then for that extra layer of protection. I took an Intense xc tire. 520 grams a piece.

I cut the inner bead off both sides and cut an inch out of the circumference. Now that took out 100 grams. That's where the weight savings come in at.

Then before I installed it inside my Michilein, I cut a strip of metal tape from a tape measure and placed it in the apex of the tire. Riding on metal!

The tape measure peice weighed 30 grams. Awesome!

Right now this setup rocks but just to make it even better, I put a thorn resistant tire in to blow the whole thing up. That was 210 grams.

Once it was all installed I put 20 grams of stans sealant in the tube just in case. I didn't want to go overboard with putting the sealant in the tube because I don't want it to weigh a ton.

i figure with normal riding there is 1% chance of having a flat which is great! Totally recommended!

ImageUntitled by hobiesmith2000, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by hobiesmith2000, on Flickr

Everyone

by Everyone

You can't be serious surely? Just run tubeless and make sure the sealant doesn't dry out.

Your setup must add a shedload of weight onto your wheels!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

hobie wrote:Once it was all installed I put 20 grams of stans sealant in the tube just in case. I didn't want to go overboard with putting the sealant in the tube because I don't want it to weigh a ton.

Too late.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

It wasn't unknown for riders to use that season's knackered, mostly worn out tubs in lieu of tubes on their winter/training bike. Last rider to admit to this that I can recall was Robert Millar.

This on the other hand is ridiculous.

Must have more drag than running with your brakes on, on the plus side, you'd probably not even notice if you did have a puncture.

Getter

by Getter

I'll give it to him for creativity. :)

hobie

by hobie

Okay test ride over. It went better than I expected. I don't really notice it at all. If anything I feel like the bike is faster especially when accelerating.

I wish tubless was a viable option but it's such a gimmick and fad. No one will being doing "tubeless" in another year or so once the lemming hype is over.

I can't take credit for the idea, it's been done way before I did it.

Pieter

by Pieter

hobie wrote:I wish tubless was a viable option but it's such a gimmick and fad. No one will being doing "tubeless" in another year or so once the lemming hype is over.

:noidea:

TheRookie

by TheRookie

hobie wrote:Okay test ride over. It went better than I expected. I don't really notice it at all. If anything I feel like the bike is faster especially when accelerating.

Faster accelerating than what? A three toed sloth bombed out on valium walking through treacle while carrying your super heavyweight wheelset?
Your wheels and tyres weighed over 4Kg (mine are 2.3Kg and hardly cutting edge) and you then only added 20g of Stans to save weight?

hobie wrote:I wish tubless was a viable option but it's such a gimmick and fad. No one will being doing "tubeless" in another year or so once the lemming hype is over.

What odds will you give on a $100 (USD) bet?

I've never had a puncture with tubeless running lightweigh Ron/Ralph combo, replace the fluid every 6 months.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

jooo

by jooo

ghostinthemachine wrote:Troll?

Really weird. To be a member since 2009 and come out with this stuff now. So strange :lol:

davidevo9000

by davidevo9000

I tried this when I was about 12 and rode it once and realised it was a terrible idea straight away...

hobie

by hobie

Well I raced on Sunday and won my class. It was the perfect setup. I got no flats during the 50 mile classic. I passed so many other racers with punched tubes and tires that fell off their awesome tubeless system. I can't be any happier. On the flats it really seemed that the extra tire weight really kept the wheels rolling and momentum up. Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of knowledge brought to this board that I have learned from. :D

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Slime strips for puncture protection if you must.

Link to results page?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

ms6073

by ms6073

Not really a new concept as I have known a number of cyclists in towns like Albuquerque, New Mexico that use an older tire carcass inside the new tire to reduce flats resulting from goat head thorns so prevalent to the areas. Would think that while the OP's solution would make for a very puncture proof tire, can't help but think that would contribute to extremely high rolling resistance, not to mention cornering performance on technical trails would be abysmal.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wingguy

by wingguy

ghostinthemachine wrote:Troll?

Undoubtedly, but you have to applaud the effort! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com