Shorter bars for 29ers

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

They will have to replant trees,beacouse the track will be too narrow:) Sick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Marin wrote:Narrow bars and bar ends? Is it the 90s all over again?

I miss my bar ends on every ride and I can't install them on my carbon handlebars. :(

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I ride 680s and for most of the trails I ride they are perfect (very fast and flowy). Any time I head to much more sustained technical types of trails I wish I had something slightly wider.

madsry

by madsry

I haven't had the luxury of playing with multiple bar widths, but I am planning to follow the trend at some point soon, probably buying a 760-800 bar that can be cut down to suit.

The other trend that I'm interested in looking at is the short stem, wide bar combo. I am getting ready to build up a frame that is the larger of the two sizes that I could have gone with and would love a few opinions before I start the build.

What has everyone's experience been when combining wide bars with a short stem? Do these two variables influence each other much? For those of you who have gone with the wide short combo, has this been a positive change, and what is considered wide these days? I think my current bar is around 600mm.

boots2000

by boots2000

I must be in the minority. I have tried various widths of wide bars.
Most recently on 695mm- I feel like I have to grip the wide bars more heavily than narrow bars- also must use more forearm/arm strength on the bike.
Just cut them back to 675-

mattr

by mattr

Nah, not at all. I've tried wide, very wide, silly wide, settled on 685.
Anything more and i can't steer properly.

Much like a good few of those i see on bars even wider than i use.

(Thats 685 on my XC bike and 685 risers on my trail bike, that i happily smash through rock gardens at speed on, its only my climbing that's slowed down as my waistline has increased!)

michel2

by michel2

i ride a hardtail with 64 cm syntax bars, i always felt like i was ridding monkey bars with the wider bontrager bars that i first had.
im not sure what folk mean with leverage... how do you need that kind of leverage ? what are we lifting ?im 6.3ft on a 21" but those widder bars.. i don't need them !

velomane

by velomane

Are you guys talking about risers or flat bars?

mattr

by mattr

Why does it matter?

Jaker

by Jaker

I'm running a riser in 640mm and I'm prefectly happy with that and the 90mm stem (down from 110mm). Works great for the riding that I do.