Power Meter options for MTB

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

trailgumby

by trailgumby

I have a Quarq PM on some X0 carbon cranks. Apart from my missing the 24T granny ring (minimum 26T on the PM - I have steep terrain in my area) it has been flawless.

How do I find using a PM on the MTB? I doubt I'd do it again.

I bought it because I had a concern about overtraining after having almost every race I intended entering interrupted with illness last winter. Being more disciplined with internet use and getting more sleep this season has helped a lot so far.

I find the TSS (TrainingPeaks) is understated compared to road by 20% or more, because MTB uses so much more upper body and core compared to road for the same effort. Whereas if I use HR TSS it seems about right.

I never get to watch the numbers on the MTB - trying to do so is a recipe for crash and injury. It's only any good for post-ride analysis, and is limited by the issues mentioned above. Save your money and get some coaching instead.

On the road bike, yes PMs are very useful for training. I have one of the new model P2Ms on some Rotor cranks with non-Q-ring chainrings, and it just works. Particularly good for short HIT intervals, much better than using HR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaker

by Jaker

Does anyone know why the Stages power meters can't seem to be used on a carbon crank? Does it have something to do with how rigid carbon is? Are these things measuring strain in the crank arm?

kophinos

by kophinos

they measure deflection of the crank arm.

Jaker wrote:Does anyone know why the Stages power meters can't seem to be used on a carbon crank? Does it have something to do with how rigid carbon is? Are these things measuring strain in the crank arm?

aaric

by aaric

Carbon doesn't react to force as predictably as aluminum does. Additionally, the bonding surfaces tend to be less flat :P

It's likely possibly to do, but making it a product is much more difficult given stages and 4iiii's inability to support carbon cranks initially.

Jaker

by Jaker

I would think it'd be a simple as installing the power meter, setting it up in their calibration rig, applying a known force to the arm and setting the meter/strain gauge appropriately. Then again, I'm not 100% sure of their methods.

kophinos

by kophinos

aaric wrote:Carbon doesn't react to force as predictably as aluminum does.

Geoff

by Geoff

That is essentially correct. To get around that, manufacturers mount carbon arms to an alloy powermeter chassis, which works fine. I love my SRM and have had good results with it, though I know some have had issues with the MTB versions. I am still running an older wired version, which has been really reliable.

borinomi

by borinomi

I recommend stages power meter.

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I've also had no issues with my Xt Stages, bar a couple of battery changes.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

Hi all,

I'm looking for a powermeter for my new Trek Top Fuel 9.9SL. However this boost 148 standard is problem in selecting a crank based powermeter for a 1x11 drivetrain(XX1) it should have a chainline of 52mm but this information is not open wide in the Internet . Could someone which have a pm with gxp or 24mm spindle with Q factor larger than 160mm inform me the chainline measurement of your PM?

Jaker

by Jaker

I still think if you calibrate your testing rig with a known accurate aluminum crank arm setup, and then throw a carbon arm into the machine and measure the "output", you could easliy calibrate these things to a carbon crnak arm. Then again, I'm not an engineer.

jimborello

by jimborello

I had a Stages on my mtb and sold it after half a year. It worked well but it took away the joy of riding my mtb. IMO power is for the road unless you only ride mtb