Looking for shoes with a WIDE toebox

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The sole fell off one of my S-Works 2011 MTB shoes, so I'm looking for new ones. The current S-Works shoes are a bit narrower in the toebox, but so far I haven't been able to find other shoes that fit better.

I've tried shoes from the following brands, without any luck:
- Bont
- Mavic
- Northwave
- Giro
- Shimano

My problem: My feet are really wide around the toes, not pointy like most people's feet:

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

SDud you try specialized shoes,they have somethink like wide option too.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

It seems like the Danish shops can't get the wide version. Also, is the wide-version Specialized wider in the toe box? Most wide version shoes are wider around the middle of the foot (which isn't such a big problem for me).

boots2000

by boots2000

I suggest the E width Shimano shoes.
I tried the wide Specialized. They are not wide- just larger girth.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I saw a picture of the Shimanos. They don't look wider in the toe box compared to the regular Shimanos (and the regular ones felt tight in the toe box).

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

IMHO Northwave Extreme Tech Plus and Gaerne Sincro are the wider toe box. I have wider than usual feet (not sure if I would consider them very wide but ...) and am size 43 in Gaerne Kobras (perfect width and a little room in front of the toes) and in Sincros I am size 42 (tight wrap all around). Extreme Tech Plus size 43 are for sure two large for me; have never tries size 42.5 or 42)
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

booyah

by booyah

Have you tried DMT shoes? My feet are also pretty wide, U.S. 9 EE in reg. shoes and currently wear 2014 DMT Top Gear Carbon Soles in size 43. They fit perfect in the width and just the right amount of room in front. See if you can try on a pair at a shop.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The Northwaves felt narrow in the front, and they also look quite "pointy" on the pictures of them online.

I have not tried DMT. Thanks for the suggestion!

DanW

by DanW

I am in kind of the same boat and stuck with S-Works. I thought I couldn't get the new ones to fit like I wanted since we only have full sizes in the UK but 1/2 a size made all the difference to comfort while still keeping the support and tighter fit around the mid foot (had to import them).

I bought two pairs of whatever the top of the line DMT was a year or so ago and the build quality was really poor. The first arrived with the tongue ripped, the upper coming away from the sole and a ton of glue left around the upper/ sole interface. The second pair looked better but the upper soon failed. They were comfortable, but I wasn't prepared to keep taking chances on how well they would last.

Maybe Pearl Izumi are another to look at? They seem to be offering some nice shoes in a range of fittings nowadays.

fa63

by fa63

My Fizik R1 (first generation) have a pretty wide toebox. Not sure what the latest ones are like, but might be worth a look.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for the suggestions, I will see if I can find those brands anywhere near me.

Dan, I might end up doing the same wrt. the S-Works. Have you tried the wide version?

DanW

by DanW

No, I didn't try the wide version. Anything that isn't a standard full size S-Works shoe is really hard to get hold of in the UK! Took me ages to find a EU shop who would ship to the UK too as it seems the distributor is protected here. Annoying but glad I stuck with them

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

It looks like MTBers have wide feet. Same here (no picture though :) ).

I tried Specialized shoes while visiting USA, no luck for me, I was in-between 2 sizes. I ended up with Mavic Rush Maxi. They fit, no more. I actually googled the ref. of the shoes when I received them to double check that they were really the Wide model. So, it's another option but not perfect.

PS: wow, I've been reading this forum for years, and I wait for a post on shoes to step in. What a poor way to join the group :D

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I ended up getting a pair of S-Works again... 43.5.

I spent most of yesterday evening comparing pictures of soles, to see the shape of the shoes. Most shoes seem to be more pointy than the S-Works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

try bontrager shoes.. pretty wide in the toebox, I have the same problem as you and bontrager and gaerne suit me well
But I could be wrong