My first MTB - Merida XT Edition (Alloy) VS XT (Carbon)?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi All
I've been a WW road biker for some time but recently moved to place surrounded by hills and trails and seems like a good opportunity to start riding on dirt this winter. I'm 6", likely to use the bike a bit for general riding on the roads as well as trails and the trails around here are not too technical so have decided on a 29er hardtail. I'm over 50 so not looking to rip things up too much but do appreciate efficient bikes.

The local bike shop will give me a great deal on a Merida and suggested looking at the alloy framed Big.Nine XT Edition or higher in the range as they are fitted with upper tier technology components - BB, XT groupset, air shocks etc. The next bike up is the carbon framed Big.Nine XT model.

It is about 30% price difference and 900g weight difference (11.3kg vs 12.2kg) for spec that is otherwise near identical.

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/mo ... -3221.html
http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/mo ... -3220.html

My question is whether upgrading to the carbon framed version is worth the investment and would really appreciate opinions on how beneficial a carbon frame is in mountain biking to someone who isn't going to race. Or do I pocket the savings and put them towards some lighter wheels?
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

OrPe

by OrPe

The carbon one also has better fork (reba vs recon) & theoretically better wheels (hub).

For me the carbon frame + better fork would move me to take the carbon one... wheels are not that much better (if at all).

Forks make big differences on MTB's...

Oren

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edson83

by edson83

Carbon worth it indeed.

When my carbon frame cracked, instead of fix it, I went back to the market to buy a brand new alloy frame coz I was on budget.

I'd say the matter is that alloy frames don't absorve the impact on terrain as carbon does.

In my case, in the trails that I've running with loads of rock gardens and tree roots, I feel ruge difference between them and I regret to have invested my dosh in a alloy frame.

I feel all vibration in my body. It didn't happened with my old carbon frame at all.

I'd say if you are on budget, buy a Chinese carbon frame than a famous brand alloy.

By the way, my carbon frame crack was totally my fault so I don't blame on carbon material. It is extremely resistant if you respect the specifications when tighten your seat clamp or placing the BB.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

get the carbon. its worth the extra money
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold