RockShox damper weight comparison - Blackbox vs RCT3 vs XX

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fwinns

by Fwinns

Hi,

I thought it might be useful for others that want to switch their dampers.
I have 2 32mm SID world cup, one with an alloy steerer from 2007, and another one with a carbon steerer, from 2011.
The older one came with a blackbox damper (titanium cage, lockout on the steerer), while the later one came with a XX damper (remote hydraulic lockout).
I just switched the XX damper for a RCT3 model (steerer lockout + slow compression adjustment), so I weigh them while they were out.
Here are the results (XX later in the evening).

RCT3 : 67g
RCT3 damper
RCT3 damper

BlackBox : 75g
BlackBox damper
BlackBox damper
Last edited by Fwinns on Thu May 14, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fwinns

by Fwinns

XX damper, surprisingly light (most often that not I read 40g more than RCT3, in reality it's around 30g

XX damper w/ remote
XX damper w/ remote

These weight differences should be the same with other forks. Only the damper length varies, so the base weight is probably different, but the difference between XX / RCT3 / BlackBox should stay the same

DanW

by DanW

Really interesting, thanks for posting!

I started with an RCT3 on the basis it is the only model with external LSC adjustment and also seemed the lightest without going to the carbon crown/ steerer models.... however it is horribly wooden and dead to ride. Tried tons of things to bring some life in to the fork but it was so uninspiring to ride.

I decided to give the Shift Up cartridge a go to try. Dropped 74g over the RCT3 assembly and it completely changed the feel of the fork. Much more like a Magura Durin in feel which for me has been the optimal balance of small bump compliance, support and big hit performance of any fork I've ever ridden (Fox FIT, Lefty XLR, SID, Durin). Another damper to think about if anyone is thinking about tinkering with their SID :D

Fwinns

by Fwinns

Well so far I like the RCT3 compared to the XX damper, it's way more sensitive on small "fast" oscillations like roots, it feels like the blackbox damper in the older sid. One thing I had to do is lower the negative chamber pressure quite a bit though.
I never really managed to find the sweet spot for the XX one, it was always a bit "harsh", especially with small impacts but to be honest I don't really like the handlebar remote, I like my bar nice and clean :P

DanW

by DanW

My RCT3 that I disliked with a passion was Solo Air so no pos and neg chambers to balance :( Otherwise, yes I'm sure some tinkering on a dual air could have brought it to life a bit more

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fwinns

by Fwinns

Yeah that could explain it, my negative pressure is quite different from the positive one, which helps on small bumps (but I lose ~5% of travel). It's a shame they went to Solo Air on recent models. It's easier to set up and probably cheaper to make, but here on the roots I think it makes a difference, especially in low travel forks where you have to have high air pressure to avoid bottoming out the fork.