Extralite kit who's using it and worth it?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Hi Guys,

Decided to change my bars and stem, I'm currently running Easton EC70 740mm and a Ritchey WCS 90mm stem. Now I've realised I need to loose atleast 10mm reach since found I'm leaning just a tad to far.

So I'm looking all over for decent light and nice looking kit, keep coming back to Extralite but can't seem to find many reviews.

I'm thinking buying the straight bars 750mm UL 5 Deg sweep and the Stem 80mm.
I'd love a seatpost but they don't do a 27.2mm post annoying

Has anyone experienced any issues or faults and what's extralite like with warranty or damaged goods?

I'm ridng XC and I currently weigh 13.1st so not sure what the weight limit is on these.

Thanks

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I’ve had various Extralite products on my road bikes over the years. The road stem and hubs are excellent, super light, really well made and surprisingly strong and hard wearing.

The only Extralite product I’ve used in MTB land is the HyperLefty front hub, which is crazy light and has been a fit and forget item so I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

No experience with their handlebars though
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thprice

by thprice

Their UltraStar, UltraTop and UltraBottom are also beez neez.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

I am curently running their Hyper J Hubs on both my MTB's. their 15mm axle for my Fox and OC stem - as the other say, crazy light and very reliable so far. Great kit in terms of weight and value.

All bought from r2 bikes.

skinnie

by skinnie

Hi guys,
Sorry to bump this thread.
In the past I had an Ultralite Ul3 90mm stem. I bought it used with an ITM Millenium Carbon Road Bar for very cheap.
It didn't came with original bolts, so I bought ones (not original) from ebay.
Even with carbon "paste" and appropriate torque sometimes the bar would slip. Later I lend it to a friend, with a aluminium road bar and the same happened.
Are the bolts the culprit or it is "normal" for this kind of parts (very lightweight)?
I weight 81kg, and my friend 75kg..he has a Syntace F99 and nothing like this happen.
Now with a new bike I am thinking of buying an Extralite Hyperstem -6 80mm, but I am afraid that the same would happen. Any input on this?
Carrera Scatto/Ultegra R8000 11s/Campangolo Shamal Mille

Jaker

by Jaker

I have a 90mm Hyperstem -6 with a 640 riser bar (a bit of twist leverage from pulling on the bars while lifting the front wheel over obstacles). I have had no trouble with the bars twisting in the stem.

SebK

by SebK

I have three Ultrastars (including the new 3rd version), crankbolts, ultratop, three top caps and bolts and the hypersaddle (modified) and all going strong .

nunokas

by nunokas

Hi.

Sorry for the grave digging :up:

Anyone knows if extralite makes is own carbon bars or just outsource them to ax lightness or others?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Some Extralite parts are advertised as "100% Made In Italy", but others lack this claim.

Web page for the HyperBar series:
http://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperBar.htm

Web page for the UltraBar series:
http://www.extralite.com/Products/Handlebars_anglo.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nunokas

by nunokas

UpFromOne wrote:Some Extralite parts are advertised as "100% Made In Italy", but others lack this claim.

Web page for the HyperBar series:
http://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperBar.htm

Web page for the UltraBar series:
http://www.extralite.com/Products/Handlebars_anglo.htm

Ok. Just did the "Holy Mary i just touched the pay button" on a hiperbar :mrgreen:

It was a close tie between it and a schmolke sl but it made more sense to pair it with the hiperstem :roll: