My 15.3 LBS, 6.93 kg 26" hardtail 1X10

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fastvegan

by fastvegan

I wanted to share my updated build. I have posted this bike before, but have completed some tuning and wanted to share.
This is a budget build, I have scoured eBay and bike swaps to find the best deals and performed some tuning to get the weight down. Image

Here is a list of components.
eBay carbon frame
Magura durin 80mm
Edge tubular rims/tune price/princess hubs/28h
Tufo XC2 tires
Ashima PCB with alloy backed pads
160 ai2 rotors/alloy bolts
Carbon/TI rear caliper mount
Lightning crank/zipp ceramic bb/ wolftooth direct mount 34t
Xpedo ti pedals tuned to 164g
No name carbon bar tuned to 105g
Extralight grips
Uno7 stem/ti bolts 101g
SRAM red dérailleur, carbon wheels tuned to 120g
XX trigger shifter
X10SL chain
Recon cassette
Tune speed needle
KCNC post cut as short as possible.

Feel free to ask questions about any part or weight, that is why we are here!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raganwald

by raganwald

Bravo!

stuka666

by stuka666

One less specialized? lol

Benno

by Benno

Awesome build, love it.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Always awesome to see this kind of build on budget. Its the smartest move ever! with this kind of bike in mind....makes absolutely no sense spending 7k over on a off the shelf bike probably weighting something over 22 pounds with an advertising that is.... "light".

I'm with you!

:beerchug:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

looks like we have the same pedal, is it the M-FORCE 4 TI? so what kind of tuning you did to get down to 164g?? Mine weight 231g!

fastvegan

by fastvegan

I made them one sided pedals by removing one of the cleat retention parts and cutting off some of the excess material., they were over 200g when I started, they are 165 now Image

elviento

by elviento

I bet those 22lb bikes are a lot more effective in an actual XC race...

I have a sub-5kg roadie and am a huge WW fan, but I will say this, as we find out over time it's actually easy to build a light bike, but so much harder to build a light, comfortable, reliable and race-able bike.

Not trying to pick a fight, just offering some alternative perspective. WW can be addictive, as I have found out the expensive way...

andreszucs wrote:Always awesome to see this kind of build on budget. Its the smartest move ever! with this kind of bike in mind....makes absolutely no sense spending 7k over on a off the shelf bike probably weighting something over 22 pounds with an advertising that is.... "light".

I'm with you!

Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Yeah. I'd bet my 9kg 29er goes faster with less power output.

vortrex

by vortrex

Sweet bike.

mattr

by mattr

Single sided pedals? Do they hang locking mechanism down? (I'd guess they do!)
Ideal for a quick start line get away........ ;-)

And I've found the cheapest and easiest way to get a lighter than stock bike is to buy two or three models down the line, in last year's colours. Then spend the difference on upgrades. eBaying the stuff you take off (or use it on a training bike).

My scale 20, within a week of purchase, was ~0.25 kilos lighter than the claimed weight of the RC, and had pedals. Plus a saddle I liked and a selection of parts I wanted......

And I still had a pile of bits to sell or use as I wanted, and about £2000 left in the kitty before I got to the RC price.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

elviento wrote:I bet those 22lb bikes are a lot more effective in an actual XC race...

I have a sub-5kg roadie and am a huge WW fan, but I will say this, as we find out over time it's actually easy to build a light bike, but so much harder to build a light, comfortable, reliable and race-able bike.

Not trying to pick a fight, just offering some alternative perspective. WW can be addictive, as I have found out the expensive way...

andreszucs wrote:Always awesome to see this kind of build on budget. Its the smartest move ever! with this kind of bike in mind....makes absolutely no sense spending 7k over on a off the shelf bike probably weighting something over 22 pounds with an advertising that is.... "light".

I'm with you!

I see your point. I'd like to share how I see this:

I think the WW game needs to be looked very closely to detect the limits. In short...shave weight where there is no correlation with high loads and keep the reliable parts where we know we will need it such as everything part of the chassis (handlebars/stem/frame/crankarms.
Wheels would depend on riding style, for example... I don't do jumps at all so a good, light and cheap pair of ZTR crest's does the WW effect for me without loosing my trust.

Forks also totally depend on riding, if its a All mountain class, it will need to be with more travel/heavier...XC and no jump, 70mm/80mm is more than enough and also lighter.

Drive train, we can go wild on that! but I personally would not go for Alloy cassettes. I actually just got a Full titanium 11-28 / 113g cassette for a 2x10 MTB and I am curious to see if it will give me the promising longevity from Titanium.

Anyways....Each ride is different, each rider is different.
Last edited by andreszucs on Fri May 08, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

fastvegan wrote:I made them one sided pedals by removing one of the cleat retention parts and cutting off some of the excess material., they were over 200g when I started, they are 165 now Image

I like that a lot! don't see any disadvantage on that if the pedal stays on a proper resting position for the foot.

austke

by austke

Great idea for the pedals. A lot of Road pedals are also one sided.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

fastvegan

by fastvegan

On the point of "other bikes being faster" my only reply will be sure, if you say so. I understand a light bike does not = a faster rider. Just like a high performance race car with an unskilled driver will be slower on a race track versus a lesser car with a skilled driver. I am not here to discuss what will be faster in an XC race, that is what races/strava is for, I joined WW because I enjoy seeing and building bikes that are light, beautiful and not "off the shelf".

As far as the pedals they do hang like road pedals and assist with entry, I have not found any disadvantages with them yet.

Thanks for all the comments, I build bikes to my own liking and am pleased to share this forum with other like minded individuals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com