dropper post for xc

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ophiravina

by ophiravina

I'm building a new hard tail race bike and I'm thinking about buying a dropper post.
I never rode one on an actual trail ride but I know that a lot of trail riders that use it for the technical stuff.
If I'm being totaly honest, I'm a road rider and road races are my goal for this year, but I love mountain biking and I race in about every XCM race on the national calender (about once a month) and in some of the XCO races.
I have some doubts about buying one and I wanted to know if you have expirience in using a dropper post for racing.
which model do you recommend? I need 27.2 and weight is a concern :twisted:

thank you :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

Specialized had a "mini" dropper the XCP. It drops down only 35mm.

I got a chance to ride around with one. It doesn't go as far down like a traditional dropper...but it does go down enough to clear the thighs on steep sections and not have the saddle in your chest when your butt is over the rear wheel.

Its is on the expensive side at 450usd.

AdyM

by AdyM

There is also the KS Lev carbon which is a 65mm drop (I think) also pricey though, but is available in 27.2. The thomson elite dropper is also available in 27.2

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I am also looking for a 27.2 mm dropper post. Does anyone know if the Rock Shox Reverb will be available in 27.2 mm diameter soon?

iower

by iower

There are cheap and simple tiawanese cable actuated/spring dropper posts available on ebay, like this http://www.attackmtb.com/review-tmars-dropper-post/

I've thought about getting one and seeing how much could be replaced with carbon/ti parts - this should be fairly easy to do due to the 100% mechanical composition with a chopped carbon seatpost tube, ti clamps/bolts, lightweight cable and housing, and perhaps a ti spring?

Something I think it would be worth looking into anyway - I think it would be cheaper than something hydraulic from the likes of specialized/ks and should end up fairly light, or at least lighter than the 410g claimed weight of the ks lev carbon

scant

by scant

the_marsbar wrote:I am also looking for a 27.2 mm dropper post. Does anyone know if the Rock Shox Reverb will be available in 27.2 mm diameter soon?

I'd be surprised. I tried a Thomson yesterday & its actually smoother in use than the reverb & the remote is easier to use.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

Does any of you race XC with a dropper post? I'm not sure if the investment and weight penalty is worth it for XC, I'm looking for someone who tried it on his race bike and can recommend for it\against it?

by the way, I started my build :D
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132170

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I ride in the elite category, and a few of my competitors use dropper posts. I want to try one this year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raganwald

by raganwald

I have raced with a dropper post. My 2c is that if you can do the race on a hard tail, you can do the race without a dropper post. I like dropper posts, they are complete game changers for MTB. They are amazing for doing technical trials-y things like huge ride-overs or massively bouldered steeps. But 400+g is meaningful, it’s like carrying a full water bottle for the entire race.

I’d say that if you have 400+g to spare, and there’s a race course technical enough to think about getting the saddle out of the way, you should consider rear suspension first.