Keywin Leopard XC Pedal

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Might be also a topic for the Cyclocross section, but I will start with the MTB crowd.

Keywin Leopard XC pedals - anyone using them? Any feedback would be appreciated.
The workmanship looks excellent and I appreciate the Keywin designs from using their road pedals.
How to the XC pedals fare in shedding mud, tension adjustment range, entry/exit, longevity, servicing, cleats? (i.e. is the cleat proprietary or standard SPD compatible?)

http://www.keywin.com/shop.php?ln=Leopa ... 7400000000

-Stoli

DanW

by DanW

I haven't come across anyone using these but Xpedo XMF08TT are great pedals worth giving a look. Far better than Time/ Eggbeater/ XTR/ etc IMo and there is a big thread on pedals here on WW that is worth a read

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Keywin responded on one point - the Leopard cleats are not SPD compatible.

PJCM

by PJCM

I recently tried Leopard pedals on my cyclocross and mountain bikes as I was seeking something with better mud clearance. The pedals are not a radical design departure from other popular mountain bike brands but I've found entry and release to be easier, with secure retention at even low release tension settings. Stability is also very good, especially for a system with a relatively small platform.

After switching over from Shimano I have carried on using my stock SPD cleats with no issues. The company's response re compatibility may have been due to a desire to sell cleats and/or avoid trademark conflict.

I gave them a go following years of running CRM road pedals and was keen to try their innovative looking "Mudman" MTB design. Unfortunately that has been discontinued to due to low sales volumes making ongoing production uneconomic. However, the Leopards are a good adaption of the SPD system.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So, I finally had a need to order some items for my stash of CRM road pedals and threw in a set of Leopard XC CT pedals.
John at Keywin in NZ could not be nicer to deal with. I really appreciate his style and the products Keywin produces and supports.

I just received them so no testing yet, but at first glance they are far smaller than expected. The Ti axle appears to be similar to the Exustar ti mtb spindles used on the E-PM215 Ti 1 model and the Leopard pedal body has a passing resemblance to the same Exustar model. However, the Keywin design appears to have stripped more material away. I think these will shed mud well. The seals are quite tight but like those on the CRMs will probably loosen up after a few hundred km. I'll report back after some usage.

scant

by scant

DanW wrote:I haven't come across anyone using these but Xpedo XMF08TT are great pedals worth giving a look. Far better than Time/ Eggbeater/ XTR/ etc IMo and there is a big thread on pedals here on WW that is worth a read

firstly, these arent mine, so I'm not trying to make a sale. I'm not even on the same continent.
is this wear & tear normal for these pedals?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xpedo-M-Force ... SwhkRWco10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

They *look* ok but the description makes them sound really beaten up. I've had mine for nearly two years now and they aren't as messed up as those sound so I'd go with saying it is not normal wear