Formula R1 brakes and aftermarket rotors compatibility.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Erhar

by Erhar

I'd like to ask for your help. I have the formula r1 brakes (older model) and i'd like to replace the stock rotors with lighter aftermarket ones. I've read somewhere that there might be a compatibility issue with semi floating (two piece rotors). Is this true? Is there something I should bear in mind? Thanks in advance for your answer.

DanW

by DanW

I used Hope X2 Race (the lighter Hope version) without problems on 2011 R1's. It was a bit close but worked ok. Same clearance of the rivets on my current XTR to be honest

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

I have been using Ashima Ai2 rotors on my R1s since 2 years on my primary wheelset. My observations are the they do work OK, but:
- They do not have the byte of the original rotors, stopping power is ok thought
- They do eat pads like crazy when it is very wet/muddy

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Erhar

by Erhar

DanW wrote:I used Hope X2 Race (the lighter Hope version) without problems on 2011 R1's. It was a bit close but worked ok. Same clearance of the rivets on my current XTR to be honest

Well this is really encouraging. After what I read I was afraid that the R1 calipers are only compatible with one piece aftermarket rotors.

DanW

by DanW

I would use the stock Formula Light (?) one piece rotors for braking quality balanced with cost. The Ashima/ KCNC style rotors do indeed eat brake pads and although I had the R1's working with Hope X2 race rotors and they are a bit lighter I preferred the slightly grabbier feel with the Formula rotors. Especially when they heat up the Hope/ R1 combo felt like it wouldn't stop me sometimes! The R1's were one of my least favourite purchases in recent memory I'm sorry to say and XTR are so much easier to live with

stuka666

by stuka666

I've used them with ashima aro, ai2 and avid hs1, no problems whatsoever.

But, of course the stopping power is different from the ai2 to the hs1.. won't recommend ai2 on the front, but for the rear with good pads, no problem for a light guy.

Use at least semi pads, organic are crap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erhar

by Erhar

The problem that I read that appeared was that the rivets on the two piece rotor rubbed with the r1 caliper or the adaptor. I'm glad to hear that some of you have used the r1 calipers with two piece rotors. What about the carbon ti steel carbon x 2 rotors? Has anybody used them with the r1 brakes?