Ultra Light, V-BRAKE Frame - 26"

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bemmis

by bemmis

Hello,
Please forgive my poor english

I'd like to find a new frame; the lightest possible. The 1996 Voodoo D-Jab Ti frame I use now weighs 1700g. I'd like a frame weighing between 1100-1450g (depending on advantage vs. price). Any weight saving can be a big advantage here in the steep, technical, rooty, rocky limestone hills of the unglaciated "driftless" region of Wisconsin.

The bike MUST HAVE:
1 1/8" steerer tube
threaded bottom bracket shell
V-brake compatability
[ideally] 80mm fork travel

My weight is 165lb and I ride aggressively, but carefully and smoothly, so high durability is not a priority, however, I would like the used frame to last for many years. Both wheels may occasionally come a few inches off the ground, plus most trails I ride are on the edge of cliffs, where catastrophic failure of the frame will likely be fatal. These factors make me think carbon fiber may not be the best option (also because my options will be limited mainly to older frames because of the requirements mentioned earlier), but I am 100% open to suggestions.

I've been checking ebay and pinkbike regularly over the past months for lighter titanium frames, also Voodoo Sobo (scandium), and Klein frames based on the listings here on weightweenies.com without success.

Can anyone think of a frame which will suit me that is not listed here on weightweenies/otherwise commonly known, and/or that will be easier to find than those aforementioned?

Cheers
Last edited by bemmis on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Carbon fibre is a safer bet than Aluminium and both are a better bet than Ti frames which probably have the highest cracking rate of any material used for bike frames!

Giant used to do a really nice CF frame with V-posts, was about 1350g. Or look at some of the modern Chinese offerings.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bemmis

by bemmis

Really? The high yield strength properties of titanium gave me the impression it was less likely to crack or bend than aluminum, and that imperfect welding is the main culprit for titanium frame failures.
Carbon can be much stronger than either for a given weight, I know, but the possibility of catastrophic failure is worrisome to me because I'm uncertain of wether my riding style will exceed a given frame's capability.

Learning about the testing process of carbon frames would complete my understanding and allow me to make a decision of wether to consider a carbon frame or not. Where could I learn about frame testing?

Are there any other models or brands out there which I should know about which are not listed in the weightweenies listings?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

bemmis wrote:Really? The high yield strength properties of titanium gave me the impression it was less likely to crack or bend than aluminum, and that imperfect welding is the main culprit for titanium frame failures.
Carbon can be much stronger than either for a given weight, I know, but the possibility of catastrophic failure is worrisome to me because I'm uncertain of wether my riding style will exceed a given frame's capability.

Learning about the testing process of carbon frames would complete my understanding and allow me to make a decision of wether to consider a carbon frame or not. Where could I learn about frame testing?

Are there any other models or brands out there which I should know about which are not listed in the weightweenies listings?

Dude, if you're riding a 26" wheel bike with V brakes and an 80mm fork, I very much doubt that your riding style is going to exceed the strength of any material.

Is this an April Fool's day post?

Jaker

by Jaker

CF frames have been used in racing MTB for many many years now, in all disciplines - XC, DH, Marathon, etc... I have NEVER heard of a catastrophic failure. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

You can probably pick up an older Cannondale F series frame on eBay, with a HeadShok and with V-brake mounts. Great bikes. It can be made very light with the right components. Not sure of the frame weight though; maybe heavier than what you're looking for.
Last edited by MikeDee on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Look for an older Scott Scale carbon frame. I had a Scale Ltd. S-sized frame at 1029.2g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

bemmis wrote:Really? The high yield strength properties of titanium gave me the impression it was less likely to crack or bend than aluminum, and that imperfect welding is the main culprit for titanium frame failures.

Welding is the main culprit and far too common....CF has no welding which is why it's inherently the safest (nothing being 100% of course).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956