Chinese mtb wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

there is no thread for mtb wheels. as i searched, there are many kinds of mtb wheels for available. both hooked and hookless, and 26"&27.5"&29". most with Novatec hub, some with DT Swiss hubs. the rim width have 24mm/27mm/30mm/35mm/40mm options. very interesting. so which kind you are looking for?
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

weenie

by weenie

i use 29 hookless with novatec hubs, 30mm, from lightbicycle. Pretty happy with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

weeni wrote: so which kind you are looking for?

Erm, ones that fit and suite my bike!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm looking at the rims offered by Nextiebike.com right now.

Hookless with a bead-locking interior shelf, a la Derby and ENVE, for retention. Probably the 30mm model. They don't make a 35mm rim with the interior shelf.

But, it seems that plenty of people are using Roval Fatties, with no bear locking mechanism, with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimborello

by jimborello

Im waiting for mine to arrive. I bought them from lighbicyle. Illl report my experience when I get them.

vfb

by vfb

I have been using LB hookless 29 rims as my go to wheels on my training bike for almost a year. I they are 27mm wide on the outside and 22mm inside.
Even if the rims aren`t totally straight so the spoke tension can`t be the same on all of the spokes they are very stiff and ok light. Build with 240 hubs revolution spokes and brass nipples the weight is 1480 grams, with 32 spokes laced in 3x. Have been using these things on my play bike in a bike park with some pretty big jumps and so and i have not had a problem. Dinged them a lot of times on roots and rocks, and they have not needed to get checked afterwards.
In a couple of weeks i will get a pair of roval control sl rims 28h laced to a dt swiss 240 rear hub and a tune king 15 front hub with revolution spokes and brass nipples, and i will see how they compare. A couple of years ago i had a pair of roval control SL 2013 and these are wider, weight the same and a lot cheaper. So i am pretty happy with them :-)
I ride for fun

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

Now there is a new mtb rim 42mm outer wide design, it available in 27.5er/29er. they use new technology: 3mm offset for spoke holes&Eyelet Design for Spoke holes.
it also Clincher&Hookless&Tubeless ready.
More details on website: http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com HR742C/HR942C.
HTB1gIK_HFXXXXXUXFXXq6xXFXXXa_1.jpg

LeDuke

by LeDuke

While I feel that 42mm is a bit much for the typical XC rider, I like the fact that these companies are getting on the forums and listening to consumers and turning out new products; they are driving the market forward much faster than traditional companies. A set of 24-30mm internal rims, fat but fast tires (Renegade 2.3, etc) is a recipe for speed and great handling.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

LeDuke wrote:While I feel that 42mm is a bit much for the typical XC rider, I like the fact that these companies are getting on the forums and listening to consumers and turning out new products; they are driving the market forward much faster than traditional companies. A set of 24-30mm internal rims, fat but fast tires (Renegade 2.3, etc) is a recipe for speed and great handling.

Yes, 42mm outer width rim mostly for AM riding, just because some XC rider like new challenge, and they will use it for XC. And the 42mm width rim design(3mm offset for spoke holes&Eyelet Design for Spoke holes) is the newest in 2015 China now, very exciting to have a try!

jimborello

by jimborello

Last week I finally finished building the wheels with light bicycle 29 er tubular rims, Tufo XC2 tubulars, Sapim CX ray and CK hubs and I absolutely loved them. I ordered them in UD matt finish and I easily dropped 500 grams off the wheels with this setup vs NOX composites AM rims with Conti X king protection tires (same hubs and spokes)

I raced them yesterday and for XC this setup is really really nice. You can really feel the difference in weight when climbing and the feel of the tubular is different because you can run them at very low pressures.

I dont know if they will hold up in the long term, but for now Im very happy wth my purchase and I really think you should give them a try.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

jimborello wrote:Last week I finally finished building the wheels with light bicycle 29 er tubular rims, Tufo XC2 tubulars, Sapim CX ray and CK hubs and I absolutely loved them. I ordered them in UD matt finish and I easily dropped 500 grams off the wheels with this setup vs NOX composites AM rims with Conti X king protection tires (same hubs and spokes)

I raced them yesterday and for XC this setup is really really nice. You can really feel the difference in weight when climbing and the feel of the tubular is different because you can run them at very low pressures.

I dont know if they will hold up in the long term, but for now Im very happy wth my purchase and I really think you should give them a try.

Indeed. I'm on 30mm wide 29er tubs with XC4s and they are great race wheels.

They might actually be TOO wide, though. The 27mm model might be the ticket if I break one of them.

Exar

by Exar

Who sells the lightest rims? And, which shop sells the cheapest decent ones? Aliexpress.com is a bit of a crapshoot...
Chains to the right!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

In what width?

I haven't looked at anything under 30mm. I'm all about the wide rims, and fat, low profile tires (Specialized Renegade 2.3, etc) these days.

Exar

by Exar

27mm seems wide enough as I'll be running 2.2" XC tires anyway
Chains to the right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

Spesh tires seem to run narrow. My 2.3 S-Works Ground Control barely measure 2.1 on my calipers.