Frame Recommendation?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jono

by Jono

Hello everyone.

Great forum - I found it when I was slimlining my Bike2Work Ribble R872 recently. Since then, I've become hooked on spreadsheets and weighing. :D

I've recently started doing some short XC races, on my On One Inbred. Despite the Inbred being a fairly slimline build, its still coming up at 12.5kg. I'd like something lighter with bigger wheels, but until I can get another bike on the B2W next Spring, I'm a little stuck for options.

However, as a quick fix I was thinking of swapping out my Inbred frame (On One estimate weight at 2.5kg) for a lighter aluminium alternative and save a good chunk of weight (I might look at my basic Shimano MT15s after than too..).

I was going to go second hand, and the frame needs to be take a 1 1/8 steerer so I can fit my Reba fork.

Is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for, around the £100 mark second hand?

Thanks a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

look out for a Carrera frame, the slightly older one from the mid 2000's (27.2mm seatpost like your inbred) my 16" was 1750g and they can be found for less than £50, that way you won't be spending too much on a bike your going to replace.

Lightweight folding tyres and 1x gearing are other good moves, check out an old spec for my Carrera in my sig, finally got that down to 9.6Kg before swapping to an FS frame.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956