Super light XC hardtail race machine

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanC318

by RyanC318

Hello everyone, I have been racing XC for a few years now and currently ride a Small Foundry Broadaxe that weighs around 21lbs. Me I am just about done growing and am looking for a light race bike to use for this season. I have been eyeing out the F-Si team edition, but haven't really seen any weights or good reviews on it. I am open to suggestions, but I'd prefer XX1 or equivalent with carbon wheels and sub 20lbs.

Thanks,
Ryan
2012 Flash 29er-18.86lbs
2008 Felt F1 Garmin Chipotle Edition-15.44lbs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

There's a bunch of info. and weights/pictures in this thread regarding Cannondale F-si :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128156

Are you looking to buy complete and/or upgrade or build yourself from scratch?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

RyanC318

by RyanC318

Thanks for that link I feel stupid for not looking there. To specify I am looking for a complete bike.
2012 Flash 29er-18.86lbs
2008 Felt F1 Garmin Chipotle Edition-15.44lbs

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

An F-Si Team will be less than 20 lbs out of the box. I changed the tires (to Schwalbe without snakeskin) and saddle (Smud). It's around 8.7 kgs (19.2 lbs) with Xpedo M-Force 8 pedals. I'm in the process of building a new lighter set of wheels (based on Mcfk rims), and looking at a new seatpost/stem, and maybe a spiderless chainrind. It should be around 8.2 kgs by then.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

How about an Open O-1.0? I built mine with a mix of Chinese carbon wheels, Extralite stem, Hubs and rims from Light Bicycle and Fox CTD 100mm forks. Currently sits at 17.3lb (7.8kg).

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The Open has a strange geometry compared to other modern hardtails in my opinion. Based on my experience with the F29 (71 degree head tube angle, vs. 72 for the Open), I would not like to ride a bike with such a steep HTA on steep descents. I feel a big difference riding the F-Si compared to the F29 (69.5 vs. 71 degree HTA).

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Honestly, if you get a chance, demo ride one. I had a Yeti ASR, Flash 29er and now ride a Scalpel and Open. I love riding the open and ride steep descents with the same confidence as the much slacker ASR.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Sure, I'd love to demo one. There's no distributor here though.

All I'm saying is, based on my experience with the F29 compared to the F-Si, a slacker head tube angle works much better for me.

vortrex

by vortrex

I've got a like new, minty, complete Scott Scale 900 SL (960gr frame) custom build for sale. It's in the 19lb range with SID and XX1. Let me know if you're interested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gfeldy

by gfeldy

the_marsbar wrote:Sure, I'd love to demo one. There's no distributor here though.

All I'm saying is, based on my experience with the F29 compared to the F-Si, a slacker head tube angle works much better for me.

I'd have to agree. My FSi is probably a better downhill bike than my Scalpel Team.

I'd say buy a FSi Carbon 1. Then take the extra parts off like I did. The frame is actually lighter (less paint) and the wheels are lighter than the Enve XC's.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold