Back to basics

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

weightless

by weightless

Hi All,

I am not sure when things changed, but I’ve ended up owning a bike that doesn’t really suit the type of riding that I am interested in anymore. It’s a standard 2009 Orange Crush, with the following specification:

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/archive/2009/crush

It’s a lovely bike for leisurely rides around the local trail centre (followed by a bacon sandwich), but not much fun going uphill, cross-country or on the road; I thought about upgrading individual bits and bobs, but it’s so far away from where I want to be that I would rather start from scratch.

So, with your support I’d like to build a fully-rigid, singlespeed mountain bike for utility/cross-country use. I could be tempted into a short-travel fork and/or geared setup, but these are compromises I am happy to make in favour of keeping things lightweight/getting value for money.

I have some flexibility in budget, but I would like to be the cheaper side of £1,000 if possible? Also happy to buy used and borrow parts from the Crush as appropriate.

I have a feeling that 9-10kg without pedals should be achievable, given that bikes such as the Vitus Vee-1 @ 10.8kg (19”) can be had for £225:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... -prod80999

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weightless

by weightless

Assuming mountain bike | singlespeed | rigid fork. How low (kg) do you think you can go for £1000 used?

I am 6ft, 80KG.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am doing the same thing as you. Just bought a 19 inch gary fisher ferrous. It has an ebb so single speed it will be. I will use an old middle burn chainset a set of 29er wheels i have knocking about but i would like to build some new lighter ones but that will be hard on the budget i am on. I think an 8 kg build is possible without spending a huge ammount. But i think it will be heavier to begin with. i will also use a cheap chinese carbon fork.

The hard part is the framE. Not enought with sliding droputs or an ebb coming up used and i am not fond of chain tensioners.

weightless

by weightless

Thanks bm0p700f.

That kind of weight would be awesome!

I haven't really decided on specific components yet, but starting my search for a decent frame/wheelset.

I quite like the look of the on-one inbred, but it's going to be too weighty:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOSSLTD29 ... td-edition

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My fisher frame is a similar weight. I expect the cobbled together build to 9 kg maybe 9.5kg. But over time i will get that down. The on one frame is not a bad place to start. What i think i will do is build the bike up amd rode it and replace the frame with a lighter custom one later this year. Or maybe i wont bother.

mattr

by mattr

TBH, i'd be selling the crush to free up some more funds
if it's built anything like the current models, everything on it is specced for the downs. You might be able to reuse the saddle.......
Second hand/eBay/China could probably get you a geared HT for under your budget.

Was it one of those buy now repent later deals?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

My hardtail (out of date link in sig) was under 10Kg for under £800 with suspension forks and gears, so should be very easy with rigid and no gears I'd have thought!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

weightless

by weightless

Cheers Gents.

Yes, I probably will sell the Crush. I got such a good deal on it at the time that I don't even think I'll be massively out of pocket; I got it for £850 (ex-display, never even ridden outside!), but had work give me £600 as part of their "keep fit" incentive.

I don't really have any regrets, as it has been a reliable bike for a blast at the local trail centre... It's just more suitable for the type of hardcore riding I am capable of in my head.

Ok, so sounds like sub 10kg is going to be achievable; How about sub 9!?

mattr

by mattr

You might lose some functionality going down to 9 at that sort of budget, like rigid, 1X driveline and so on.

But you've said you are happy with that. So no real reason why not.

Have a look for the China frame threads if you want new, on the classifieds for maybe a Scott Scale or similar. (We sold my wife's somewhat upgraded Scale 30 for £800 a couple of years ago. That was almost bang on 10 kilos.)

Could quite easily do it with something like a scandal or one of the racey on one carbons as well (can't remember the model name!)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am doing the lightweight SS with hylix carbkn fork, stem and intergrated bar and one of there saddles. I already havea carbon post tl use. All this has cost less than £200 for not alot of weight. I happen to have lightweight tubular rims and xtr hubs kicking about with a stock 29er tubs. So sub 9kg withiut a big spend on new bits is possible. Selling the crush is a good idea and buying low cost carbon parts is a good idea to keep your spend down.

Also to keep the spend down i would pick up an old square taper chainset. There are plenty of quite light one about and just remove two of the rings. Square taper bb's are cheap and reliable. As for wheels there must be some decent second hand one you can buy but a decent set of handbuilts would not set you back too much.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

Be weary of the Hylix forks. I was super close to picking one up, but there are an unusually large amount of broken fork stories on the internet about them.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Nice project!

I just did a similar thing and it made me wonder why I didn't do it earlier. I built up an old 26" hardtail frame with stuff that I had lying around and bought the remaining parts. If you're looking for a bike to throw around corners rigid 26" is the way to go. Also because you can get good quality stuff for cheap as everyone wants to go 27,5 or 29.
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com