Tune hubs

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaroslaw

by Jaroslaw

@ dwaharvey

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will surely get the hub apart and look for the signs you mentioned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Let us know what you find. Hopefully it's just a bearing in need of replacement or another washer required!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelly07

by kelly07

tune hubs is good very good

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's highly appreciated :)

choiboi

by choiboi

I have might/mag... No issues after 19,000km and 3yrs. Love them!!!!
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I have a pair of Mig/mags for road... and 2 pairs of King Kongs...

the 2 pairs have Ti freehub bodies. It is barely any heavier than the aluminum versions. All of my are circa 2007... 2008... I have not ever had a problem with any of them. I also didn't do much servicing with them either. I just ride them.

All of the wheelsets were built by White Mountain Wheels and Alchemy Bicycle Works.

DanW

by DanW

Like an idiot the balance of light weight and relative value has suckered me in to another set of Tune hubs...

Already having problems with the rear hub :evil: After a few seconds of freewheeling the freehub stops engaging (well clicking as you are freewheeling) then locks the hub in place, as if something is tightening up inside. After the freehub becomes locked and you turn the freehub as if pedaling it seems something inside unscrews again and the freehub can move freely in both directions without the pawls engaging. So the effect of using this hub is: freewheel -> fine for a few seconds -> freehub stops freewheeling and locks in place -> fixed rear wheel -> pedal again -> no pawl engagement for a full revolution of the freehub -> start the process again :roll: The shop have suggested it is normal and sorts itself out but I'm not convinced they understand the problem at the moment- doesn't seem normal to me! Anyone come across anything like this?

muntos

by muntos

What model /year?

DanW

by DanW

Brand new Kong XX1. The shop say there is a titanium tooth ring (?) inside that needs to tighten after the first ride but I'm not convinced as my hub becomes fixed then doesn't engage at all for a full revolution and it keeps on repeating like this. I am wondering if either something isn't tightened properly inside or maybe there is a small spacer or something missing causing the hub to bind? I am hoping there is an easy fix that doesn't involve sending the wheel away again even though it is very annoying at the moment...

muntos

by muntos

Uhhh, I have the same Kong XX1 installed but I didn't finish my XX1 setup so didn't ride yet..

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Hurry up, muntos. I want to know if I should get something else instead (still waiting for mine) ;)

Out of curiosity: Have any of you got a Cannonball 2.0 front hub yet?

muntos

by muntos

I'm doing my best, hope this weekend to have it up and running :-)
No Cannonball 2.0 here, still on the "old" F29 :-P

DanW

by DanW

The shop stand by the advice that just riding hard should tighten up something inside my Kong freehub. I am a little reluctant to ride something that isn't working properly in the hope of fixing it but I guess I have to take their advice and see how I go!

On the other hand, I must say that my Princess front hub looks flippin' beautiful!

prodigy

by prodigy

Not meaning to scare you, but if I were you, I'd have a look by taking the rear hub apart. It takes literally minutes.

I happened to me that a brand new freewheel has cracked (Sram xD driver) due to over-tightening the cassette.
Because of this the freewheel has deformed and was getting caught on the teeth where the pawls are engaging. I was only in certain positions when freewheeling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

I have the problem even before installing a cassette so I'll see how I go. The idea that a freehub can deform because the cassette was "over tightened" is both scary and laughable. Cassettes are supposed to be cranked on and I can see any advice from Tune suggesting it should be lower than the normal 40Nm. Did you get a free replacement on the freehub?