Tune hubs

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vicpt

by Vicpt

the_marsbar wrote:Hurry up, muntos. I want to know if I should get something else instead (still waiting for mine) ;)

Out of curiosity: Have any of you got a Cannonball 2.0 front hub yet?

Hi, i have it on my TUNE Dreckschleuder wheels for my F-Si 2, so far so good. Nice wheels.

You can have a look (a glimpse), on this photo:

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'm still hesitant wrt. the Tune hubs to be honest. They'll be used for racing, so I am probably better off with something more reliable. I'm hoping to get rid of the ENVE wheelset that came with the bike, so it'll be my only wheelset as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

In fairness to my Tune hubs they were absolutely flawless on the first ride yesterday (several hours in thick mud and pouring rain). I think it is more a mental thing that I am looking for problems with them due to the reputation! They were very nice to ride though and I wasn't ever conscious of them while actually on the bike.

The deciding factor for me was being able to get a full wheelset (Tune Princess/ Kong, Ryde Trace XC, Sapim CX-Ray) built by our neighbors in Germany for the same price as the King and Kong hubs cost here in the UK!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The problem in thw u.k ia the distributor. If buy from abroad they dont want to know. That means any warranty issues are a potential pain.

There are other hubs. Dt swiss dosc brake hubs are very good And worth the money. Xtr hubs too are always good.

qwpy

by qwpy

Ive been having allot of trouble. worst retail experience of my entire 15 year internet life.

7 months of waiting. not tunes fault entirely.

I have now decided to have my Tune wheels built locally ( buy the parts individually) but its not that easy.

The hubs i want do not have an up to date .pdf so i cannot buy the spokes in the same order ( cant use a spoke calculator without the dimensions)

It could be that the old prince and princess hub have the same dimensions, so Tune haven’t bothered to update..but the picture shows a very different looking hub. the new ones look very different compared. I can not spend 200+ £$ on spokes to lace them and find out "oh hell, they are 2mm off." seems a bit daft.

but i love tune hubs, been riding them for near 10 years... i might just buy the hubs and wait to see if i can find out the spoke lengths later. might take a long time for them to arrive anyway.

7 months ago I placed an order. But had seriously bad retail issues, I just about got my money back thanks to paypal and by remaining calm. ( remain calm people, even when they try and trick you, if you have trouble, don't blow a fuse, that's good advice) .

I wish Tune would help. not just tell me to go to the uk distributor they will not do unfortunately, for various reasons.

muntos

by muntos

I had the same problem when I've rebuild my wheels with the Tune hubs, I found 3 different dimensions on their site/paper /pdf and noticed them about this but apparently they still did not fixed it. The good part is that they respond pretty quickly to emails and helped me with the correct dimensions. So I would suggest to write them also and email.

fastvegan

by fastvegan

Tune hubs are awesome, until the carbon axle snaps mid-ride.
The "upgraded" axle is 13g heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velomane

by velomane

That sucks. Were you able to ride home?

headtube

by headtube

My Tunes have never let me down.

xc71

by xc71

Has anyone ordered Tune hubs lately? I am wondering about delivery times. In 2011 I ordered a Prince/Princess hubset, Tune said 4 weeks delivery - 6 months later I still did not have my hubs. I ordered a Kong/Princess Skyline 2 weeks ago. Tune is saying 6-8 weeks delivery which I am fine with, just hoping this doesn't turn into another Gong Show with them.

muntos

by muntos

I ordered my Kong/Lefty hubs with the rare 24 holes configuration and got them in maximum 3 weeks.

Sybarite

by Sybarite

I've built Tune hubs over the years, from the Mig/Mag, King/Kong, Prince/Princess. Early Mags (rear) had some issue with the freehub, creaking, play, and so on - warranties were promptly settled with Starbike/Hibike. My latest rear is a special order 135mm rear/non disc/SRAM XD drive, so far no issues. I've never heavily cleaned or jet sprayed my hubs (I know a few who do and seem to have more problems). I have also 2 sets of Extralite HyperCamber rear wheels (29"), these work great too with no issues so far.

On DT Swiss hubs - The lighter DT Swiss cassette body (I think it's blue instead of black), with more engagement points, and a much smaller bearing, is the problem with the recent DT Swiss hubs. These were built with the previous batch of Reynolds wheels, and the usual warranty was to swap it out with the black/less engagement pt/bigger bearing cassette body for much better reliability.

xc71

by xc71

muntos wrote:I ordered my Kong/Lefty hubs with the rare 24 holes configuration and got them in maximum 3 weeks.

Thanks for the info, hope I get that lucky, almost at 3 weeks since ordering.