Is it possible to make Lefty higher?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rycki

by rycki

Hi,
I have Lefty Speed XLR 2011 26", 100mm travel. I'd like to use it in my new 29er. I mounted spacers and there is only 70mm travel, but I'd like to have 80mm.
Is there any way to increase travel/height of this fork without damper changing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

I am thinking of reducing my 100mm 26er Lefty for my 29er too... don't you just need to reduce the travel to 80mm in the first place rather than 70mm? I am 99% sure there is no way to increase the axle to crown height though. I've seen some people run headset spacers under the lower crown race if your headtube is short enough :?

EDIT: I've just double checked and it seems reduction to 70mm is recommended, as you've done. The 80mm Leftys I've seen are guys going rogue and pushing their luck with tyres that aren't so tall

rycki

by rycki

I looked into the manual and I'm thinking... about `upper air seal`.
What will happen if I make it shorter from 26 to 16mm? Height between axle and crown will increase 10mm?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

It might be tricky to alter the seal without compromising its ability to "seal"! Rycki, where are you located. There is a guy in New York who is kind of an expert Lefty tuner, and he has done all sorts of swaps and modifications. His shop is called Mendon Cycle Smith, just google it. Even if you are not located in the USA, you might want to check with him for advice, or you could search his posts on MTBR.com. He has offered a ton of Lefty advice on there, and may have already addressed your question.

LAN

by LAN

I have extended my 2014 Hybrid fork 10mm by shortening the upper air seal.

My 29er fork now has an axle to crown height of 510mm. I also removed a 10mm travel spacer, and it still have 8mm clearance at max travel with a 29x2,4" tire.

So basically a 120mm 29" fork at 1364g :-)