26" XC/Marathon race wheelset

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Even starbike or bikecomponents still appear to have Podium MMX rims.

There is a seller on "e-bay" .co.uk selling them out for cheap. I never had problems with mine. 65kg geared.

I know you are aware and all, but lacing ultralight rims like Innolite etc. to King hubs is akward. I would, at least, get a different, much lighter front hub.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fwinns

by Fwinns

It's awkward on a pure weightweenie build, but you can't match the quality of the rear hub engagement with anything else, and the rotation inertia is affected in majority by the rim weight, the hub weight does not really change the wheel liveliness or ease of acceleration. It does affect riding uphill because it's added weight though.
Keep it mind it will be a race wheelset, I'm not looking for the lightest build, but for something quick and reliable, even for 100mi races. Although a DT190 front hub would be ideal that's for sure.
I saw the podium MMX rims, but at 130 or 140€ a piece, I'd much rather take the 170€ innolites tbh.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Fwinns wrote:About 120€ delivered to Canada from Germany.
Where did you find the Alpines for 80€ shipped? I cant find anything below 100$/rim (70€/rim), and thats without shipping

eBay.co.uk.....chap had a few pairs. I also know someone with some good used ones for sale right now.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DanW

by DanW

The UK distributor were pretty much giving away Podium MMX rims recently- don't know where you are shopping! £40 on justridingalong for example.

Fwinns

by Fwinns

just riding along ask 70£ to ship 2 rims to Canada ;) That's way more than the 20€ asked by the german sites

TheRookie

by TheRookie

So find a tame member to help you!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

leo8008

by leo8008

If you are still consider the Chinese Carbon rims ,maybe I could help you with your order. Thank you .

P.S.: I am working in a carbon rims/wheels factory, I like riding and I am workign hard to try to bulid a full Carbon bike for myself ,maybe I could ask for help/advice here when I am going to build. :D

Fwinns

by Fwinns

Well, if I'm going for carbon rims, they have to be "modern", i.e. hookless, and possibly more than 22-23mm wide. For example, light-bicycle does a light 27.5 rim, that weighs 330g, and is hookless with a 22mm wide inside measurment. The same thing in 26" should weight around 300g, but they only have the "old" 330g profile available.
Can you do something like that?
I talked with them about it, I think there is a market for cheap and light 26" rims between 100-200$. I understand that the big players (Enve and co.) don't want to make these kinds of rims, beacuse anybody willing to pay 1000$+ for a single rim will pay for a new bike at the same time, whereas people still on 26 (like myself), don't necessary have the budget to buy a brand new bike (2 in my case!). With a light wheelset, I'm still competitive on my 26" bike (even without!), and I don't really want to switch to another wheel size, which would means buying new wheels, and frames, and forks, and have a different position on the bike (29" is a bit too big for me, a small frame looks ridiculous in that size and the handlebar is way too high compared to the saddle)

leo8008

by leo8008

Actually we now only have a profile clincher for 26" carbon rims. As I know, few factory make the hookless 26" rims in Xiamen,
I agree with you,it is ridiculous to make a big 27.5 or 29 on a small frame such as 18 inch ,
so that we could not recommand the 27.5" and 29"hookless rims to you ,
Anyway, I will send the detaill of our 26" rim for your reference.
Sorry for unable to help you on the wheels.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

Fwinns wrote:Well, if I'm going for carbon rims, they have to be "modern", i.e. hookless, and possibly more than 22-23mm wide. For example, light-bicycle does a light 27.5 rim, that weighs 330g, and is hookless with a 22mm wide inside measurment. The same thing in 26" should weight around 300g, but they only have the "old" 330g profile available.
Can you do something like that?
I talked with them about it, I think there is a market for cheap and light 26" rims between 100-200$. I understand that the big players (Enve and co.) don't want to make these kinds of rims, beacuse anybody willing to pay 1000$+ for a single rim will pay for a new bike at the same time, whereas people still on 26 (like myself), don't necessary have the budget to buy a brand new bike (2 in my case!). With a light wheelset, I'm still competitive on my 26" bike (even without!), and I don't really want to switch to another wheel size, which would means buying new wheels, and frames, and forks, and have a different position on the bike (29" is a bit too big for me, a small frame looks ridiculous in that size and the handlebar is way too high compared to the saddle)

as i know, now there is 26" hookless rim available, the width have 24mm/35mm options, The 24mm wide about 330g, 35mm wide about 380+-15g. here are the geometry for reference. more questions you can email bellajian@foxmail.com.
Attachments
CS-HR635C hookless 26er.jpg
CS623.jpg
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com