Superlight Long Travel Pivot

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Just finished this one up and thought that you guys might like to see it. 22.6 pounds.

Full build list: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/pivot-mach-6-carbon-xxtr/

DanW

by DanW

Interesting and very light but also quite weird!

Silly comments would be that there are no pedals and the stem and tyre logos don't line up ;)

Sensible comments would that the build is neither one thing nor the other. You've chosen beefier rims, dropper and a fairly hefty frame suggesting a bike that is actually designed to be ridden as intended but then put on an Extralite stem, Schmolke bars, Ti spokes, foam grips, ti cables, etc. It isn't what I would call "All Mountain" and could be even lighter if the intention is to build a very long travel XC bike. I just don't get it...

It does look good though (ignoring the (all) mountain of spacers)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

Kinda odd bar being so narrow? I figure to get past the Enduro Bros they would at least use a 740mm bar...regardless of the brand.

jooo

by jooo

DanW wrote:...but then put on an Extralite stem, Schmolke bars, Ti spokes, foam grips

But the stem and bars comforatably pass EN standards and have been proven to be quite durable. I'd probably choose the same parts if I got to do a 'bling' build. The Ti spokes are totally fine (just expensive) on a 32H, wide ENVE build. Foam grips don't really have any issues as long as you like the feel.

I'd definitely have quite a different build, but FWB seem to use these builds to showcase new or fairly unknown parts quite a bit so it makes a lot of sense from that perspective :smartass:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm guessing he's referring to the fact that those bars are 680mm wide, at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

But Schmolke can make them much wider if you want and the weight penalty is quite minimal.

DanW

by DanW

It seems the comments on this bike have been done to death on other forums so there isn't much to say more

The build is really a long travel XC bike which is fine except it should have lighter hubs, lighter rims, lighter seatpost, lighter frame, etc. If you put XC parts on a long travel frame and fork it doesn't become a bike for "big mountain descents", well... no more than any other XC bike. The Mach 6 is more like a mini DH bike and you'd expect to be able to ride the same jumps and never ending long descents as a DH bike- selecting some of the world's lightest 680mm bars, and the world's lightest metal stem (available no shorter than 80mm), stupid rotors, etc doesn't seem compatible with this regardless of whatever minimum standards certification has been achieved for the parts. It could be a lighter long travel XC bike and it could be a more credible Enduro/ All Mountain/ [latest gravity buzzword] bike- as it is it is neither really. The attention to detail to achieve the weight but the build is neither one thing nor the other

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Looks like a bike built purely to advertise what they do, and will be stripped without ever being ridden.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

TomHelly

by TomHelly

You could easily keep it under 11kg even with some #enduro spec ~760mm bars, 50mm stem and padded saddle.

I think that would be more impressive because it would be closer to what someone building this bike for racing, would actually use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com