seeking advice for carbon frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

brittany

by brittany

All articles on the internet said that carbon fiber bike is lighter than Al or any other material one,but cant fixed!i want to buy a carbon fiber frame just like this: link deleted due to spam complaints,but i really dont know whether i should buy it!so ,can you give me some advice?
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link deleted by me. Powerful Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Aluminium frames are hard to fix as well! Carbon can be fixed, but often for a cheaper frame its not cost effective - but then the same is true for aluminium.

Did you intend to break the frame at some point then, many people never do. How many have you broken?

That frame looks like a generic open mould Chinese frame, look around and they can be found cheaper. That one is also pretty lardy when the very best carbon 29er frames are circa 900g and decent ones about 1100g.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

mattr

by mattr

Aluminium is effectively higher risk and harder to fix than carbon. What with welding, heat treatments, heat affected zones, alignment, dissimilar materials (which welding rod did they use in manufacturers, exactly what grade of tubing is it etc)

With carbon you "just" cut out the broken bit and glue a new one in. (Vast over simplification, but essentially accurate)

mattr

by mattr

And in the event of a massive accident, anything that would write off a carbon frame (put beyond economic our practical repair) would almost definitely do more damage to any comparable aluminum frame.

roadbikenewbie

by roadbikenewbie

go for carbon frame if light is what you are after. For the damage or the cannot fixed part...well accidents do happen we just have to ride safely , and most important its not the bike but its us...bike can be bought again ...but lives?

but if you want softer ride you can think for titanium too..they flex and looks good too..especially with brushed finishing...just my 2 cents.

brittany

by brittany

Got quite busy recently,just have no time to replay you guys in time .And thanks for all the suggestions,i would re-think about buying a carbon one,it is lucky since i have not saved enough money for the frame before got these suggestions from you guys ,best wishes.

Getter

by Getter

If it a China carbon frame...if it cracks...I'd just buy another one. Depending on the damage...it may cost more to repair compared to just buying another one.

You would have to crash either frame really hard to damage them to the point of being unsafe to ride. The frame would basically have to hit something at the right angle. I've seen catastrophic failures in both materials. One can't say which will have a higher failure rate.

brittany

by brittany

Getter wrote:If it a China carbon frame...if it cracks...I'd just buy another one. Depending on the damage...it may cost more to repair compared to just buying another one.

You would have to crash either frame really hard to damage them to the point of being unsafe to ride. The frame would basically have to hit something at the right angle. I've seen catastrophic failures in both materials. One can't say which will have a higher failure rate.

My wife is sitting next to me, and just thought that was a dildo, not a saddle.. :lol:?!!!this is the most important sentence in your post.....

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Locking this thread. Complaints of spam posting seem warranted.

OP take it up with me via PM if you have any questions. Thanks
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com