I need a light seatpost

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

muntos

by muntos

This is almost my last piece remained not touched by the WW microbe, and I confess is probably the hardest choice: should I break up of my 226 grams beloved Syntace P6 Carbon Hiflex 27.2x400mm seatpost and go for a lighter one or the benefits of this seatpost weight more than a 100-120 grams difference ?
And if so, what choice ? Almost all WW seatposts have a weight limit (100-110kg, I have 85kg) should I worry for this in the first place ?
So my short list at this moment:
http://r2-bike.com/POP-PARTS-OF-PASSION ... bon-272-mm
http://r2-bike.com/TUNE-Seatpost-Schwar ... 00-mm-120g
http://r2-bike.com/MCFK-Seatpost-Carbon ... m-from-91g

Bike is a 29er hardtail, use XC, aggressive XC.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The P6 has a rearward offset, so any of those posts you link to will shorten the cockpit, how much will depend on where you have the saddle on the current post, forward and you can probably match it with an inline, rearward and you won't!

There are some lighter weight offset ones, but you'll only be looking at getting down to circa 175g from my quick look round.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muntos

by muntos

Honestly I didn't know that P6 Hiflex is a setback post, but this will probably work on my case as I felt many time the need to move the saddle forward and shorten the steam. Beside this the bike came with a 0 offset seatpost (I think...)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I am using an mfck setpost without setback on my F29, and I really like it! It's very light, and so far I've had no problems with my approx. 70 kg weight.

muntos

by muntos

Hi marsbar, glad to hear again from you :-)
I suppose that the original seatpost on your F29 was also a Save 2, do you know if this it's a setback post? If so, did you noticed some changes in your riding when switched to Mfck?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The SAVE seatpost has setback, but for me, without setback is better. It depends on where your saddle should be.

Getter

by Getter

I have a P6 HiFlex and I'll take the weight penalty for some extra comfort.

If I had a straight up race bike...then I'd consider taking the hit (literally and figuratively) in comfort for weight reduction.

Unless you ride with the saddle slammed forward on a zero offset post...the HiFlex should be able to put the saddle where it needs to be. I went from a zero offset to the Hiflex...and I am able to put the saddle in the exact same spot as the zero offset.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Eh, he's already on the Hiflex!

Getter

by Getter

I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that if I was him...I would stick with the HiFlex. :)

Going to a lighter and possibly a stiffer post just save some weight is not worth it to me.

Maybe my comment about the zero offset threw you off.

muntos

by muntos

This is why I said that is probably the hardest decision from all the components I've changed :)
One the plus side I like the idea of Hiflex seatpost (like having a small suspension on rear) but I have not so much experience to actually confirm that is true and that this helps during a race
One the minus I'm having problems with the saddle position on steep hills, I've moved the saddle forward as far as I could but still feels that I would need maybe 1-1.5cm and as I said I wasn't aware that Hiflex is a setback post.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

In that case, get a cheap and cheerful inline post, if you prefer overall how it rides, then get a decent lightweight one, simple? Stiffness differences between the inlines would be minor.

Getter, yes your last line read as he was on a zero offset post, which he isnt.

jooo

by jooo

It sounds like any of those zero offset posts you listed will work fine for you then. I'd have a hard time picking one of those over something like a WOOdman EL Carbon that is almost the same weight but at half the $$.

muntos wrote:and as I said I wasn't aware that Hiflex is a setback post.

It isn't... sort of. The cradle itself is almost inline with the post. It just happens to have a huge range of adjustment that lets you comfortably push the saddle back further than some normal setback posts.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

try Europa from AX Lightness
http://eliflap.it/

muntos

by muntos

There are 2 versions of Europa, one with 85kg max and the other with 100kg, but I don't see any advantage of this one over Mcfk or Tune, maybe just that my saddle is also from Ax...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

houzik

by houzik

We also have a new carbon parts maker in Greece...Gram bikes
My seatpost is 34,6x350 and weights 130gr with no weight limit...it is a beauty for sure!!!

ps(not an advertisement)