building an old race bike with new parts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

I recently picked up a 1998 Trek 8900sl. I want to build a weight weenie ride out of it, and am not sure on the adaptability of some new parts. A little backstory here first. I recently won a bet that I couldn't build a sub 14lb bike with an aluminum frame, and purchase everything from Craigslist. The budget was 2k. I was able to build a really remarkable Caad 10, that weighs in at 13.6lbs... and am in it for 1400.00 after the winnings from the bet were added.. so now I've been "dared" to do the same with an older aluminum xc mtb... my budget is half, and the target weight is under 20lbs.. So now I'm curious if anyone out there has recommendations. The bike has a SID front fork, XTR V brakes, grip shift, and the rest is pretty much dead weight. I do have a carbon handle bar, and stem coming, as well as a light tioga spider web seat.. Is anyone out there still running an older (pre 2000) xc hardtail? Any hints for weight reduction? I can source ebay as well, but have that spending limit to keep... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
A friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a body..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

Sounds like a fun project with a good start. I recently purchased a some NOS Stans 355 rim in 26 on Ebay for $20 each. They even had a machined side wall. They weight in at 355g... if you would have guessed it.

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

Yes, that sounds like a steal! I've seen elsewhere that I can use a GXP crankset on this bike, and that would enable me to use a 2x10 carbon crankset I have... don't know if this is true or not though... would love to see other's "modernized" vintage bikes that may have done this..

jooo

by jooo

Looking forward to seeing some pics. I love the look of older WW XC bikes. There are some awesome examples scattered in old pages of the forum and some in the old listings.

For a light rider on fairly smooth and dry terrain, I'm sure they'd still be an absolute hoot. Sorry for the pic spam

mattr

by mattr

Shouldn't be too hard, my XC bike, when i was using it to race XC on (94-00) weighed about 22-23lbs with no massive weight saving considerations. Just a solid, if expensive XTR build. Being realistic I could probably have knocked the thick end of 1.5 lbs off on tyres and wheels and another lb on bits and pieces. Bars, stem, cages, hubs, skewers etc. Would have impacted reliability if i was using period kit.
The last build I completed, it was set up for marathons and it was still only 24lbs with coil forks, comfy saddle etc. I have now retired it and rebuilt as a retro, and with some cheap wheels/tyres I reckon it's just shy of 26lbs.

One day I'll build up the spare frame and see how light i can go.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

20lb should be achievable on V-brakes, my commuter is at that for circa $800 and its disc braked.

If you post up a list of what you have and weights it would help to target weight improvements, the key items as I'm sure you know will be wheels and tyres!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

I will post some pics and weights soon. Of course, the pics won't load onto the site...

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Use an external host like photobucket, tinypic or flikr etc and use the image links, much easier!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

Thanks! I'll go that route.

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

ImageImage

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

Replaced these two very heavy parts today. Coda suspension post weight (512 gr) Giant carbon post (188 gr). WTB saddle (265 gr) Vertu spider web saddle (186 gr).
The budget that I can't exceed with this challenge is pretty low, so I figured the wheels/tires are going to be th biggest drop and expense.

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

ImageImageImage

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

Removed the bash guard (110.8 gr)
I'm going with a newer Sram XX, or XO gxp crankset (2x10), so that will dictate a few changes in running gear. I say I'm going with one of the two cranksets, because I have both available for very similar price..

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

I have a few parts ordered that haven't arrived. Once here I'll post their replacement weight and pics. Currently the bike has XTR V brakes,. Not sure if I'm keeping these or will be going with a disc... i did replace the Tektro "yellow" brake levers (108.8 grams each) with a set of Avid speed dials (98 grams ea) that I had left over from past builds..

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

Seat post clamp came in today. KCNC (12.2 gr), compared to Bontrager flip seatpost clamp (52.4 gr). Little by little and within budget.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com