building an old race bike with new parts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdyM

by AdyM

Would it be cheating to run 1x10? ;)

fcabot

by fcabot

I bought a sub 20lb 2004 Specialized M4 for $700 on craigslist... Does that win this bet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

I actually talked about running a 1 x 10 setup just last night.. Looks like that may be the way I'm going to go. Stipulation added to this bet is that I must race this bike in a xc race this February... So a 1x10 or 2x10 setup is what I'll be doing...
A friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a body..

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

So the last of the eBay parts arrived, and the bike is sitting at 9525 gr (21#). I still am going to go with a carbon gxp crankset, 1x10 race face 34 tooth front, and XTR 10 speed cassette. Not to mention a new wheel set and lighter tires. The tires alone will drop the weight under 20#. And I'm still way under budget. I'm going to blow it apart, strip and paint the frame as well. Not a weight thing, but we restore concourse cars and I can't have this thing looking shabby.

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

The handlebar is also going to be cut down. They sent a 640mm when I ordered a 600.. I see 18 lbs (8164 gr) as a realistic weight when all is said and done. Oh, and I'm only $242. Invested so far... bike included..

mattr

by mattr

Might be time to look at a slightly more considerable saddle if you are going to actually ride it!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The frame looks far from shabby, a little wear and tear is expected and normal, personally I think it would spoil it with a respray, fork are a different matter though, as long as it doesn't impact performance I think you should keep it as original looking as possible for 'effect'.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

jooo

by jooo

@mattr - apart from being a copy, what's wrong with the saddle? It's still lighter than most lower budget padded saddles and if the original Spyder is anything to go by, it should feel alright.

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

@mattr the saddle is actually very comfortable. I have the same one mounted up to my Cannondale Ultimate Super Six, and I have over 10k miles on it now. It actually moves a bit more than my old carbon Selle Italia.
@TheRookie you are the 5th person this week to say the same thing... I'm considering leaving it as it is.... pretty cool to actually have a US built frame, with its old decals... hmmmm

rikaguilera

by rikaguilera

Saddle from my Super Six @mattr . Yes, looks different, but is really comfortable.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

rikaguilera wrote:@TheRookie you are the 5th person this week to say the same thing... I'm considering leaving it as it is.... pretty cool to actually have a US built frame, with its old decals... hmmmm

Great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ).....my retro isn't in the same league as that, but I wouldn't want to spray it (still has the true-temper steel tubing sticker!), for minimal/no performance impact you could keep it looking very classical, and I'd stick with V-brakes and aim to do a dry race (so no downside) as they are inherently lighter than discs.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

brittany

by brittany

:) i just think even if you cant win the game,you should leave a very cool impression.and you can light your bike just change some parts to carbon one,of course,it may cost a lot,best wishes!