First World Problems

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Humphris1

by Humphris1

Hello all.

Need a new XC race bike for the season (culminating with the Craft TransAlp).

Going to treat myself, but there are too many options (and not enough reviews!!).

Short list is...

Cube Elite C68 SL
SLhttp://www.cube.eu/bikes/mtb-hardtail ... line-2015/

Scott Scale 900
http://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/produ ... 0-RC-Bike/

Canyon CF SLX
http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3652

Any advice/pointers/opinions gratefully received!

Thanks.

Simon

gfeldy

by gfeldy

Is there any reason why you're not thinking about a Cannondale?
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Humphris1

by Humphris1

Never been a massive Lefty fan. But it's prob. an irrational and outdated view.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

Humphris1 wrote:Never been a massive Lefty fan. But it's prob. an irrational and outdated view.

A valid point. I'd have to say though the new fork on the FSi is outstanding! So much better than the previous one. I own the Carbon 1 and I'm converting it into 1x11 xtr. It's worth checking out.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

Humphris1

by Humphris1

The Cannondale just won a group test in a German mag against loads of other super light expenny hard tails. Still not sure about lefty tho'.....

DanW

by DanW

There are so many options out there! Cube, Scott and Canyon are not the most exciting in the world. For me, Scale geo is really nice and you can't go far wrong with one, Cannondale F-Si is just such a great package and Leftys are truly the best fork on the market, but personally I would have to go for a Pivot LES built from the frame up. Such a versatile frame that seems popular with the top guys riding longer races and something you don't see everyday.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I wrote off lefty and crack and fail in general in 2013 when I worked for the largest dealer in my city. It took them 8 months to send us a replacement part on a 1 year lefty.

DanW

by DanW

Regarding the Lefty, it depends on the company handling the warranty jobs in your- country same as any product. In the UK for example TF Tuned have fantastic service and quick turnaround of forks.

I'd sooner have a Lefty or SID over the heavy, flexy, Rockshox RS1 on the Cube and Canyon- a massive reason not to pick either of those two suggestions from the OP IMO.

Humphris1

by Humphris1

Thanks DanW.

Presuming you'd pick the Canonndale over the others then? Any idea how the overall weight compares?

DanW

by DanW

I'd certainly rather the Scale or FSi over the Cube or Canyon. I probably go for the FSi of the four for the excellent package a Cannondale build up with, with the Hollowgram cranks/ Lefty/ etc...although they are so new and not many review out there to be sure of the ride. Take this with a pinch of salt as my pennies only stretch to a Chinese 1060g frame with Scott Scale Geo although I've really gotten on well with my previous carbon Cannondale bikes and thoroughly loved the Lefty.

As I said above, if I was spending the same money as your suggestions, I'd personally go for something a little more versatile and out of the ordinary like a Pivot LES :D Here is European 24hr and UK Marathon champion Matt Page's old bike as an example... function above all else.

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm waiting for a righty fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humphris1

by Humphris1

Strong advice. Gonna go and book myself a session with the FS-I !!!

Tomstr

by Tomstr

DanW wrote:Take this with a pinch of salt as my pennies only stretch to a Chinese 1060g frame with Scott Scale Geo

Sounds good, which frame is that Dan?
Ride it like you stole it

DanW

by DanW

Hi Tomstr, it is the latest Chinese XC frame, the 256sl, sold through a range of resellers such as Hongfu, XMIplay, Honsen, etc. The weight of 1060g is for the size Large and BSA bottom bracket but I think some of the press fit BB options drop the frame under 1kg. Geometry is identical to the Scott Scale save for a 5mm taller headtube and 2mm longer chainstays. Put an extra 5mm headset spacer on a Scale and you have the 256sl- there's no way you'll notice 2mm on the chainstays and everything else is identical to the mm :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Awesome, do you have a link or type name from a brand?
Ride it like you stole it