Trek Superfly vs Canyon Grand Canyon

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tam76586

by Tam76586

Hello there, first time posting on a forum of any sort, hope this is in the correct place! I'll get to my point quickly... I currently ride a heavy 26 steel hardtail which is definitely holding me back in terms of speed!!!

I'm looking to buy a complete very soon, these are what i'm choosing between:

http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3646

And

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... ly_9_8_x1/

The canyon has a lighter fork, nicer wheelset and i'm a sucker for the Race Face cranks! It also has a 30.9 seat tube which means a dropper would be a more viable option if I go all soft (Trek 27.2).

The trek has the advantage of being test rideable and has XT brakes which i'd prefer. I have also read feedback and reviews about the geometry feeling great. The Trek would also work out at about £200 cheaper due to a. 5% discount and no postage.

Any opinions or experience actually riding these bikes would be much appreciated, i'm not sure what to go for!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I've ridden a Superfly Elite (with the lighter frame, all £4K of it) and was really impressed, very accelerative, compliant ride and very fast rolling, what put me off was the cumbersome feeling in tight corners (even compared to my cheap and cheerful frankenbike - see out of date link in sig) and so I've stayed 26er (recreational riding). I'm surprised its a 27.2 seatpost, be worth checking in case its a spec error.

That said a dropper on either seems a little out of place, are you picking the right bike for your riding? Which is?

Njee on here has a Superfly so I hope he replies to this thread, although his is built up with his own choice of components.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Tam76586

by Tam76586

I mainly ride the black and red routes at Glentress at the moment (only just moved to the area so haven't explored the local trails). I'm a sucker for a good long climb and love bashing Munroes in the summer! I pretty much never put the seat down riding these trails, a dropper just seems like a nice thing to have as an option I can sling on now and then. I ride bmx so i'm certain a hardtail is for me. My current steel hardtail has a pretty long travel fork/ slack ht angle so feels pretty sluggish.

I think a test ride is essential for me, although the Canyon is very tempting!