XC racer geometry compared to FS

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I wonder if there is some relationship between XC hardtail and FS enduro geometry.
I come from the road\CX background where stack and reach is what dictates my stem setup (spacers and stem length/angle)
I have a FS bike which seems to be setup great for me (being relatively new to MTB I cannot say it's perfect but it sure works well for me). I wonder if there is a starting point for setting up a XC racing hardtail compared to the existing FS. Perhaps slightly longer reach and slightly shorter stack for more aggressive setup?
Any recommendations are appreciated.
Cheers
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

You set the cockpit for usage, an XC racer will be longer with a lower front end, an Enduro (meant for more faster downhill work you would run a shorter cockpit with a higher front end.

Assuming you really do mean it's an Enduro bike (mini downhill but peddleable) and not a marathon bike?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Thx.
My FS rig is more of the All Mountain than Enduro - it's a Norco Sight Carbon 140mm travel. But longer and lower setup of the cockpit on XC racer s what I have been thinking (onger reach and shorter stack). If we were to talk numbers, what would your suggestion be: how much longer and how much lower? These are medium frames.
Thx again.
www.tiremaniacs.com

scott_racer

by scott_racer

I would disagree that your XC bike should be longer frame reach than the FS. Assuming you are using a 50-70mm stem on your FS (pretty common for that style of bike) I would aim for a XC bike with ~10-20mm shorter frame reach with a stem in the 90-110mm range, giving you a slightly longer overall saddle to bar length.

AM/Enduro frames should be slightly longer in the top tube than a XC bike for more stability. The XC bike with the slightly shorter top tube, steeper head angle and longer stem will feel much more aggressive than the FS.
Start flat out ... then pick the pace up halfway

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Reach and Stack + HT angles of the frames are as follows:

FS: Sight Carbon size M - R: 421mm S: 592mm HT angle: 67.5 deg
XC HT: Revolver size M - R: 413mm S: 613mm HT angle: 70 deg

so as you are indicating scott_racer.

Seat tube angle is slightly steeper on the FS than XC HT: 74.2 deg vs 73.5 deg - this is also contributing to the more aggressive position on the XC HT

But overall both posts indicate that overall bars on the XC should be more forward (longer saddle to bar distance) than on the FS. Cool. Thx guys. This give me a good idea about where start with the the bars setup
www.tiremaniacs.com

scott_racer

by scott_racer

If you actually spend quite a bit of time pedalling around on the Sight I would be setting up the saddle to be the same distance behind the BB on both bikes. The problem with this is that with a dropper post on the Sight, getting the setback the same might not be possible.
Start flat out ... then pick the pace up halfway

Marin

by Marin

Reach and stack of the frame would be similar, but on the Enduro you run a shorter stem and taller bars.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Thx everyone. All great info.
www.tiremaniacs.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com