Pace RC31 with 44cm length

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nikh

by nikh

Frankie - B wrote:Nik please stay away from those forks, their prone to breaking!

Where and how?
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

nik, do i have to tell you how aluminum cracks? because the fork is so light it cracks. most of the time at the crown.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

nikh

by nikh

Frankie - B wrote:nik, do i have to tell you how aluminum cracks? .

No.

because the fork is so light it cracks. most of the time at the crown.

Hmmm interesting.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

nikh wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:nik, do i have to tell you how aluminum cracks? .

No.

I already thought so! :D
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Paqrat

by Paqrat

I ride / race singlespeed with a 420mm Pace RC31. I really like the ride quality of the Pace - the carbon does take the edge off the hits much nicer than the stock Cromo rigid fork. It is also very stiff laterally - it steers very precise. But, like any rigid fork, it's not meant for jumps / big drops.

My RC31 does not have safety (lawyer) tabs, so you should check your quick release often if you run disk brakes.

I'm a little weary of Titanium forks, especially the XACD one - titanium is really prone to failure if not welded perfectly. I should know - I broke one at the crown. The Hilset fork mentioned earlier looks very much like the XACD. Spicer forks are made by XACD. If you want a Ti fork, I'd suggest the more pricey Morati fork - it's built with thicker, stronger tubing, and the welds look more consistent.

I do have a 400mm Kinesis Maxlight coming shortly (for a different bike), and will be likely trying additional forks with it. The IF no travel fork, Kelly and Sycip segmented forks are ones I'm considering.

In general, most all rigid forks will be harsh, and the best way to make up for that is to stay off the seat on bumps, letting your arms and legs absorb the hits, and keep less weight over the handlebars. You can also run bigger tires at lower pressures for more comfort (eek - no weight savings!). You'll still save significant weight by switching from a full suspension fork to rigid (500+ grams).

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I run a Pace rigid on my single speed (a gaint MCM frame) Love it! Mind you I am running 2.35 tires and a full carbon frame/fork. It is just as good as any SID I ever ran.

Pace forks are great. I wish they were available in the states. I have also heard great things about the new magura fork. One of my friends in Wales is riding one and thinks it better than his Pace Air.

eurorider

by eurorider

I am seriously considering the Spicer Ti or the Kinesis Maxlight but I'm not sure which to choose ...I want to try racing with one of them so I think the aluminum of the Kinesis may be too harsh although it does have the swept design ...one potential problem is that they are only 398mm

Does anybody have experience with the Spicer Ti? ...I could get the 80mm suspension corrected version that is 430mm ...I think that would prevent me from messing up my geometry with the 398mm Kinesis

carlos

by carlos

i was looking for a spicer ti fork too but after searching a lot om mtbr singlespeed forum i found lots of broken forks, most at the welds.. brake a fork is not a very pleasant surprise going down the hill at high speeds.... but its cheap and light and sexy too.
hey
ho
lets go!