Giant XTC Advanced SL 27.5

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

boots2000

by boots2000

Does anyone have experience with this bike.
I am considering this bike as I want a hardtail in my stable.
Feedback on sizing would be helpful to me.
I am 5'10 with a saddle height of 73.0cm.
Would that put me into a large or am I better off with a medium.
Reach on a large would not be a problem- I have a long torso and long reach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Your post is confusing, most your reach is in your arms, for 99% of the worlds population their arm length and leg length are proportional, so for your height you can't have a relatively long torso and a long reach! You can only have one or the other.

I've never measured my saddle height, but if that is the same as inside leg (29") is fairly short so a medium would probably be a better bet I would think.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

boots2000

by boots2000

Can you measure your saddle height?
What I was trying to convey is that I know that the reach on the large would work.
I am trying to decide if my saddle height makes the large a big and funky bike- or if it will look and work well.

TheRookie wrote:Your post is confusing, most your reach is in your arms, for 99% of the worlds population their arm length and leg length are proportional, so for your height you can't have a relatively long torso and a long reach! You can only have one or the other.

I've never measured my saddle height, but if that is the same as inside leg (29") is fairly short so a medium would probably be a better bet I would think.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Vertical height of the frame is pretty irrelevant, after all you have a massive adjustment in the seatpost, cockpit length has much less adjustment, a small amount of saddle movement, offset or inline posts, and playing with stem and bar backsweep, effective top tube length is the single most important dimension, match that to a bike you know works for you and you are sorted.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

AdyM

by AdyM

Hi, I have the 2014 XTC Advanced 2 (couldn't afford the SL :P) I am 6'2 and saddle height of 81cms, again a fairly long torso and ride the XL (110mm stem! - straight post and thinking about switching to layback and shorter stem). So would probably recommend the L, I tried the Large and just felt way too cramped, the frames don't seem that long.
Other than that, lovely bike, always leaves me smiling!