shimano xt deore rd adjustment

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tinchy

by tinchy

I'm from a road background and relatively new to mtb's, but am pretty good at maintaining my bikes. My mtb has a shimano deore xt rear dérailleur with a 'clutch'.

Straight to the point:

---I can get the rear mech shifting like a dream when the clutch is set to off.
---As soon as the clutch is switched all the way to the 'on' position, shifting becomes very laggy and no amount of cable tension fettling sorts it out.

Should the clutch on the dérailleur be affecting shifting like this?
Should I experiment with the clutch in an intermediate position between on and off?
Does the clutch need adjusting somehow?

Thanks! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scott91

by scott91

I'm not sure if the XT one is adjustable like the XTR one, but it could be set too tight.

Is it a new bike with new cables? I've found good cables (specifically SP41 with Shimano coated cables) are paramount in good function with the clutch rear derailleurs. Maybe try opening the clutch cover, there should be some light grease in there, could have washed out if you wash frequently.

It should feel stiffer at the shifter in the on position, but you shouldn't notice a decreased speed in shifting when actually riding.
Last edited by scott91 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinchy

by tinchy

Yeah Im not too sure if it is adjustable, will have to find that out.

All I can remember is that when I first got the bike, I think (while ago now...) that the clutch was in a sort of intermediate position. Whether this was correct, or even intentional I am uncertain as I have no experience of this mechanism in the past.

I presume, it isnt adjustable then perhaps running it in this intermediate position might get me the best of both worlds...?

Pollekes

by Pollekes

The clutch on an XT derailleur is adjustable.

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-RD0001-04-ENG.pdf page 21-22

I had to loosen it up a bit on a new derailleur, in order to get it shifting smoothly.
Training is like fighting with a gorilla.
You don't stop when you're tired, you only stop when the gorilla is tired.