Extralite Black Lock

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Rich_W wrote:The 6mm hex is on the threaded end which is counter-intuitive. Not sure why they did that.

Makes sense to me, apply the torque to the end where the torque is reacted against (through the threads) and not all the way along the length of the 'bolt'. As the threaded end needs to have a smaller internal diameter anyway (to maintain material thickness at the root of the threads) so reducing that end for the 6mm Allen key will save weight over putting it the other end, also it means the main tube can have a larger ID (more easily) as you arn't trying to machine the bore between the 6mm hex one end and the smaller ID at the threaded end the other.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I'm with you Rookie... Makes total sense from a design standpoint... I just mean your brain is trained to look for the skewer on the other end... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

I ' ll order one soon. Thanks!

devinci

by devinci

I have both the carbon-ti 15mm and 12mm axle here. Not used them yet. For you guys interested in light axle, their respective weight is 35g and 34g

Grannen

by Grannen

Anyone know if, axle posted fits maxle ultimate forks, like the rs-1?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

No, that's a new and different standard, the Ultimate uses a 27mm diameter tube - a bit bigger than the 15mm Maxle.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Grannen

by Grannen

Are you sure?
The rs1 ps hub uses a 27mm steerertube, and 15mm maxle ultimate to hold hub and tube in place. If I understood info that is ;)
Maxle ultimate is also used on rs pike fork i think

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Just bought one to use for street/DJ use. Haven't really used it a lot yet (because of it being winter), so can't say anything about strength, but it sure looks clean, makes the bike lighter, and makes it a bit harder to steal the front wheel. Mine (RS version) weighted in at 26g i think.

doccoraje

by doccoraje

My 142 Maxle is working great, less than half the weight of the DT it's replacing.
Attachments
la foto.JPG

Cheers!

by Cheers!

DanW wrote:Anyway, if you get a puncture in an XC race and you are towards the front then it is pretty much race over regardless of a second or two extra to get a wheel out... non?

Yup! Might as well take the rest of the ride easy or think about heading back to the car.

PSM

by PSM

doccoraje wrote:My 142 Maxle is working great, less than half the weight of the DT it's replacing.

What bike?

njee20

by njee20

Cheers! wrote:
DanW wrote:Anyway, if you get a puncture in an XC race and you are towards the front then it is pretty much race over regardless of a second or two extra to get a wheel out... non?

Yup! Might as well take the rest of the ride easy or think about heading back to the car.

To be fair, there have been plenty of examples of people changing punctures and still getting a decent result, plus points matter. Why even carry tools/pump etc otherwise? I don't really see allen key axles as a real issue here though, any through axle is more of a faff to remove than a traditional QR wheel.

jooo

by jooo

I've seen a few slick changes where the mechanic has the hex key ready in hand and it doesn't really take any longer than unscrewing a QR thru-axle.

Some of the stops have probably been quicker than neutral service changes in road racing.

doccoraje

by doccoraje

PSM wrote: What bike?

Turner Flux

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carlin

by Carlin

Just a quick questions has anyone on here replaced the QR on the RockShox forks? They are horrible I've ruined that mushroom black cap so many times etc.

So looking at replacement, I don't mind bolt or quick release just something better than the standard its crap.

The forks are RS Sids 14 100mm carbon steerer model