Partslist for XCM racer, OPEN O-1.0, Lauf, XX1 (updated)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

antehedis

by antehedis

Hi!

I need some tips and pointer on what to chose for my next build.
I got a full spons deal on a lauf fork and a ridiculously good deal on an OPEN O-1.0 frame.

So, without going madness, what part would you choose? The bike is going to be a XCM racer.

I got an 118g innolite bar that I'm gonna use, also got a XX1 crankset.

Please motivate your choices if you can :)

/Andreas
Last edited by antehedis on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

marathon equals a need to be reliable and comfortable before light.

wheels - ENVE M50 - a good weight if not super weenie but strong and good tubeless reliability. come with good hubs too.
brakes - xtr race 9000 - use the ice tech rotors not weenie rotors. a few extra grams mean nothing compared to good power and no fade.
seat post - syntace p6 hiflex - a few extra grams but adds so much comfort, the clamp is easy to use and it doesn't break.
stem - syntace f109 - to stay matchy matchy with the post, light enough and strong/stiff.
pedals - xtr race - related to the cockroach, they'll survive a nuclear blast. light enough.

seat - too personal, what kind do you like?
tyres - too personal but i'm really loving the maxxis ardent race front maxxis ikon rear combo. similar weight to conti protection or schwalbe snakeskin variants but seem to last longer and bite a bit harder into corners when you lay it over. get them in the exc/3c variant

gearing - xtr/xx1 much of a muchness, what do you prefer? i've personally gone xo1 shifter (more reliable than xx1 but remains ergonomic adjustments) and x1 rear derailleur (cheaper for when i destroy it without sacrificing much weight).

cranks - you could drop some weight getting rid of the xx1 crankset and going raceface next

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Pretty much with the above except
1/ Wouldn't use carbon rims for XCM, I'd go with the (small) added comfort from decent alloy rims, Crests perhaps on a decent hub.
2/ Rear brake disc you can save some weight on, something like the A2Z teppenyaki which still has a 'full' (not lightweight) breaking surface.
3/ Left field option, consider grip shifters, not much of a weight saving these days but they survive impacts a lot better than levered shifters, also less likely to snag up on branches etc.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

antehedis

by antehedis

Yeah that sounds pretty good!

I got some 1450g crest wheels that i been racing this season.
Also got some Ashima Ai2 rotors on them which im really satisfied with!
Tires will probably be Thunderburts or maybe Specialized Fastrak/Renegade.

Others than that im open to pretty much everything...
My race weight is around 65kg.

Still wanna save some weight though.

stuka666

by stuka666

Don't use the ai2 on the front, they will blow up easy, maybe a hope floating rotor on the front (160) and a ai2 on the rear (160 aswell).

Brakes R1R, seatpost you could go for something in the 130g, you are not heavy.

Stem if -17º you could go for a soul kozak, -25º ritchey.

Hubs, I have a extralite hyper jf on the front, it has been awesome for 1600km, I just bought some bearings to trade on the start of next season (Feb-March). 85 grams. On the rear, I don't like very light hubs because that means trouble on the long run, go for something that is known to be good, as a dt240, don't forget to service!

I also race, and don't like to use narrow tires because it exposes the rim, already had to swap a bor 333. 2.25 Roro on the front and 2.1 geax mezcal on the rear.

That said and with a frame that weighs almost 1.2kg, my bike is with 8.5kg, xx1, sid wc, R1R, look s-track, 2 x bottle cages, garmin mount, crank booties..

If you're racing, don't put stupid light parts that will cost you on the long run, nothing worse than the bike blowing up.

antehedis

by antehedis

The ai2 have been working flawlessly for me this year! Gonna stick with them.
The R1R is probably not an option when i can go with the XTR brakes.

Raced on the Thunder Burt 2.1 this season and had no issues what so ever with them.

Others than that im open to ideas ;)

DanW

by DanW

My personal choices for XCM are:
- XTR brakes with Hope X2 Race rotors- totally dependable and problem free in all conditions
- XX1 drivetrain with direct mount chainring, rear mech bolt tuning, custom carbon matchmaker to brakes is a good balance of light, practical and hassle free.
- Mt Zoom or New Ultimate bars (I realise you are sorted for these already)
- Climax Carbon seatpost (139g in 31.6x400mm for £50! and very durable and comfortable)
- KCNC stem is a safe bet for light, cheap and solid
- Can make big savings with the cranks, FSA K-Force, Hollowgrams or Raceface Next are the light options (and it depends to some extent on the BB type) but I went for the crank based upon the Power Meter I wanted (best investment for XCM training!)
- Ti bolts everywhere
- Xpedo XMF08TT pedals are like XTR but much lighter, better in the wet and last much longer (plus a bargain at around £80 for 210g!)
- Wheels and forks are porky on 29ers but good you have these sorted
- Don't overlook the little details and chances to save weight like QR's/ bolt throughs, seatclamp (MT Zoom 6g is great), grips (personal but Bontrager X-Lite are great), headset spacers (BBB ultraspace are the lightest and cheap), etc, etc

Can't wait to see the finished build :thumbup:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

A Lauf? Really? Is that a joke?

It doesn't even have a "damper".

If you're looking for a bike that looks good on a scale, go with the Lauf.

If you want a bike that will actually perform under you, get a RS SID, DT SWISS, or Fox.

stuka666

by stuka666

DanW where do you get the xpedo XMF08TT for 80£?

DanW

by DanW

^ ebay from an Aus retailer. I forget the name of the seller but it is in the "Best pedals" thread here on WW

Re: Lauf... I'd like to know more about how functional it is too. From a WW perspective all 29er forks seem to be made of pig iron! My stock SID RCT3 is just under 1.7kg and even the Leftys are ~200g heavier than their 26er counterparts. A lighter bolt thru and cut steerer helps lose weight but 29er forks are still porky :(

antehedis

by antehedis

The biggest reason that i choose the XX1 cranks is so that i can run Rotor QX1 on them without having a custom spider built for me.

And about the Lauf, i get the fork for nothing and its a bit of trail and error, i see no problem why it shouldn't work..

It actually looks like i'm going to get some good stuff along with the frame itself from OPEN.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

"Why it shouldn't work".

Say it with me now: It has no damper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I had the opportunity to ride a Lauf fork on my favorite XC trails while in the Netherlands. I loved it! I'd buy one if I had the money in my wallet.

antehedis

by antehedis

xnavalav8r wrote:I had the opportunity to ride a Lauf fork on my favorite XC trails while in the Netherlands. I loved it! I'd buy one if I had the money in my wallet.

Sounds sweet!
as stated above its a fully sponsored fork for me so nothing to loose! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antehedis

by antehedis

So a bit of update here on the specs as it looks right now!

Frame: OPEN O-1.0
Handlebar: Innolite MR11
Stem: AX Lightness Rigid
Fork: Lauf Trail Racer29
Seatpost: AX Lightness Europa Premium 27.2
Cranks: XX1 w/ Rotor QX1 36T
Cassette: XX1 10-42
Shifter: XX1
Rear Der: XX1
Wheels: Crest based
Rotors: Ashima Ai2 160/180mm
Brakes: Magura MT8 (latest version)

Reason for some choices is really good prices.