Toronto Cycles vs Jaeger Motorsport Ti bolts?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Hi. As the title implies, I wonder whether to go for the cheap Ti bolts from Toronto Cycles or the very expensive bolts from Jaeger Motorsport. The reason I'm looking at these two sellers, is because both of them offer black DLC covered bolts, and because they have lots of sizes to choose from.

I'm upgrading to Ti stem bolts on my street/park/dj rig, so strength is important. I see the bolts on the Jaeger site is stated as having a tensile strength og 930-1000mm^2, but can't find any info concerning bolt strength on the Toronto Cycle site. Anyone with any exact numbers or any feedback at all?

Also, if anyone know about other online stores with DLC coated Ti bolts in M5x16mm to M5x17,5mm sizes, I would be glad to check them out.

Marin

by Marin

Are you 100% sure that you want to have Ti bolts on a park bike? If you weigh more than 70kg I'd stay with steel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I feel I have to mention that I do run a suspension fork (which do reduce the bolt stress considerably), and I'm not a hardcore rider at all. Still (even for my "light" riding) I would guess that strength is more important than in many other riding applications.

Even a lot of BMX bikes use Ti bolts or hollow CrMo 4130 bolts these days, so i would assume Ti would be ok? At least if it is high quality bolts. Also, the 930-1000N/mm^2 tensile strength claimed on Jaegers site, is actually higher than normal 4130 CrMo steel bolts. According to http://www.aerospacemetals.com/ the tensile yield strength, of Ti6Al4V is also higher than the one of CrMo 4130. The site might of course not be credible, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the site is right I should be ok using high quality Ti bolts. I therefor wonder if onyone knows anything about the quality of the bolts from Toronto Cycles. Are they good? Or are they weaker than the expensive alternatives (e.g. Syntace, Jaeger, PROTI ffr etc.)?

DanW

by DanW

I wouldn't go for Ti stem bolts myself either on that type of bike, it just isn't worth the risk however small that risk may or may not be.

Sounds like you want them though so maybe the biggest deciding factor for you might be that my black Ti bolts from Toronto Cycles came out dark purple :lol: Their colouring process does seem to have been updated since this though... and they have been just as trouble free as any other bolt on my XC bike

gfeldy

by gfeldy

A teammate of mine ordered a complete Ti bolt set from Toronto Cycles and really likes them. I think he dropped a little over a quarter lbs.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Ended up ditching black bolts to get some PROTI ffr's instead. They are fully forged, so they're generally stronger than CNC'ed bolts. Bolt strength also varies less between each and every bolt then with CNC'ed bolts. Theoretically of course...

tantra

by tantra

I don't know about Jaeger, but I find that the Ti bolts from Toronto are too soft and get rounded out during regular use. I buy Ti bolts from ProBolt, but Jaeger may be just as good.

Benno

by Benno

I have bought from Toronto Cycles before and have found most of their stuff is pretty poor quality. Hex wrenches don't fit quite right and they get rounded out pretty easy.
I buy from probolt now and have had no issues.

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

Ti bolts from Toronto are all right but i agree they are soft and not durable. Since the i get my Ti bolts from Germany.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Pro bolt is really expensive but if found their bolts to be some kind of f the nicest around

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com