650b frame for xc use? 165 cm short rider.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gifted child

by gifted child

Any suggestions for a 650b frame for XC use ? Im a 165 cm short rider. Came from a Scott Scale Pro 29er.
No Giants, and Spez please. Not fond on those brands.

gifted child

by gifted child

I was thinking of another Scott Scale 7 series… but Im also open to suggestions to other brands….
I would love to try a steel mtb frame also. What's a decent weight for a steel frame size small?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

My Ritchey P650b is 2085g in small. I think that is the lighter end of Steel. I built one as a race bike this season. I wanted a durable, smooth, race bike. It rides awesome. Not super light at 9.3kg. Another steel options would be Soma B side.

What is the intended purpose of this build?

gifted child

by gifted child

Nice! Steel is indeed quite on the hefty side. Purpose for this build is mainly XC riding and racing.

stoney

by stoney

gifted child, I like how you said you're not fond of Giants. You do realize that Giant manufactures many Scott bikes don't you?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Many 26er frames will take a 650B tyre without issue (for the same tyre size it's only 1/2" bigger radius).

For a lightweight steel frame 26er that will take 650B (they also do a specific 27.5" frame as it happens but which is the best depends on the tyre size you want to protect for), have a look at Cotic Soul if you can get them where you are, 4.5lb (2.05Kg) for the medium frame is lighter than a mid quality ally frame these days.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

gifted child

by gifted child

stoney wrote:gifted child, I like how you said you're not fond of Giants. You do realize that Giant manufactures many Scott bikes don't you?

Yeah, i know. Giant is the largest bike maker. But its just so happens that there are about 10 giants, and Spez bikes here in the Philippines to every other brand. I didnt say they are bad, i just want something a bit more "not common". Not exactly exclusive because Scott isn't an exclusive brand, but there's fewer Scott bikes here. :)

stoney

by stoney

You can't go wrong with a Scott Scale. It's the weapon of choice of Nino Shurter. If I were looking for a 650b hard tail it would be one of the first bikes I'd test.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

Trek just came out with a few new size bikes. They now have a superfly HT in a 15" (650b) and a new Cali in a 13.5". I built a Cali carbon up with XO1 for my girlfriend and it's now under 18lbs.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

gifted child

by gifted child

Cool! I'll check out the new offerings from trek. Didn't know they have superfly 650b in their line up... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prodigy

by prodigy

Also Orbea is offering their Alma Carbon and Oiz in 650b, maybe worth a look.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Yeti ARC carbon. They hake the XS and S sizes in 650b. One of the only companies actually producing bikes with good geometry for small riders. The XS has a ETT of just 546mm.

They are also doing the new ASR carbon 4" DS bike in XS and S with 650b.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

gifted child wrote:Cool! I'll check out the new offerings from trek. Didn't know they have superfly 650b in their line up... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly/superfly_9_8_x1/# They aren't really advertising it but the 15.5" is a 650b
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

greg755

by greg755

After four years of riding 29" (both hardtail and suspension) I just got a 27.5" hardtail and I love it, never going back to 29". I have a BH Ultimate RC, so not the world's lightest frame, but I ride with a couple very fast guys who ride Denigris 27.5 hardtail bikes, which are very light. One bike that I quickly rode in the parking lot was under 19 pounds with a triple chainring xtr crankset.

Here is a link: http://www.kom-cycling.com/index.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingman

by wingman

Jamis Dragon Pro steel.