Cheap options for first MTB since high school

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rush

by Rush

Not a normal weight weenie post but I'm looking to buy a Mountain bike for the first time since high school. Mainly for riding single track with my son and mates, bike tracks with my wife and daughter, commuting and maybe hacking around at the tail end of an open CX race. So I'm looking for a cheap fun bike to ride during the winter, not something for serious racing or riding huge epic trails.

Criteria was hydraulic discs, 29" wheels. Price limit was $1000 AUD. Was thinking of 2nd hand only but it seems that you can get quite a good new bike for that, Cube and Merida in particular seem to have a few models.

These two caught my eye:
Merida Big 9
Cube Attention SL

Are through axles really a big deal? Don't mind having a conventional sealed bottom bracket. New standards require more maintenance.

I guess my question is to the brains trust here, what is important at the price point?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Through axles are a nice to have, but I'd take the better core spec first....
I know decent bikes are pricsy in Oz (2 cousins living in Melbourne who are both MTBers)

Of the two the Merida has the better fork, the XC28 is far to whippy on a 29er (not that good on a 26er!)....the Fork is THE single most important component at this price point bar none.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Agree on all points.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

If I only had 1k to spend on a mountain bike, I would definately go for used.

As pointed out above, the fork is the most important component (with wheels coming in a close second), I would avoid any RockShox fork with a TK damper, even an old Reba with a Motion Control damper is so much better than a new Recon, or XC series.

I don't have as much experience with Fox forks, but I have a Factory series 32 FIT RLC, and prefer the ride of my Rockshox forks to it immensely (though this is a matter of preference, and others will disagree!).

The other components matter a lot less. As long as I have a clutch rear derailleur, I'm happy.

Rush

by Rush

Thanks for the advice. There aren't that many second hand 29'ers for sale in my neck of the woods and that size has been recommended to me. For the record I'm 6'3" (190 cm) and about 85 kg (190 lb)

Rush

by Rush

For a bit more I can get A Fox 32 Float Evolution fork an a Hollowtech crankset (which I'm not that fussed about) and upgraded brakes.

Went to a local bike shop, the different between a cheap elastomer Suntour fork and a Rockshox Reba air (on a $1500 bike) was amazing.

I'm also trawling the reviews section on mtbr.com on brakes and forks.

Rush

by Rush

Can get a Cube Acid for a bit more which comes with a Rockshox Recon Silver Air. Only difference between that and a Recon Gold (recommended as the minimum working example of a proper fork) from the Rockshock website is steel vs aluminium upper tubes which costs about 300g.

The Fuji comes with a 2013 Fox 32 Evolution CTD. These forks were recalled (although not the 100 mm version) although general performance of the 2013 models seems to have been mixed. Many riders seem to have stumped up cash to upgrade to the 2014 damper design according to this and this

ophiravina

by ophiravina

go for the fuji and dont look back, they are by far better

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The Fox Evolution are overpriced tat, poor damping control and horrendous reliability, they are only good for one of three things
1/ Selling to a mug who thinks a Fox sticker makes it good and then buying a semi decent RS fork, you'll often make a profit on the deal
2/ Binning
3/ As an ornament

I doubt the Suntour was elastomer, much more likely to be a coil spring, Elastomers are so 1990's.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

The Fuji is miles better.

While you can drop a FIT damper into an Evo fork, as The Rookie said, you could flip the fork and pick up something like this: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/reba-rl and quite possibly come out ahead.

Though, word on the street is that the newer Evolution forks are much more reliable than the earlier ones...

Rush

by Rush

I ended up getting a Cell Awaba. It's a local design made in Taiwan.

Here is a review.

Basically it seemed to have best spec for the money with geometry close to that of the Fuji. Compared to the Cube it had through axles and a Hollowtech crankset, but inferior hubs (Joytech vs Deore). I rest rode the Cube, Cell and a Merida Big 9.

Now I need to sort out a setback seatpost and pedals.

Thanks for all the input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Nice fork for the money, though you are putting too much importance on the through axle.

Excellent drivetrain as well for the money.