releasing air from rockshox

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tinchy

by tinchy

hi guys,

ok so my mtb knowledge lacks, coming from a purely road background, but recently got hold of a mtb with 2014 rockshox reba rl forks.

I read the label on the fork and put in the required air for my weight range, however, after a couple rides with some considerable drops/rocky sections I am failing to max out the forks (or at least, get within 3cm of using all the forks travel).

As such, Id like to reduce the air pressure - how do I go about this? It doesnt seem to be mentioned anywhere in the manual that came with the bike and all I can find online is info on how to do a full fork service - surely releasing air is as simple as putting it in!?

thanks for any help

will

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

Attach the shock pump and press the button to let some air out.

grover

by grover

as stated. most shock pumps have a bleed valve to release air. failing that it's just a schraeder valve (like your car). just push the centre of the valve in (with a small allen key or your finger nail usually works). that'll likely release too much air and you'll have to pump back up to your desired amount. be aware that when you press the centre of the valve it'll probably squirt some fork oil out with the air so stay out of the firing line.

tinchy

by tinchy

beauty thanks guys

TheRookie

by TheRookie

For info, the printed pressures are 'very safe' and almost always far harder than you need or want.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

jeffreyj

by jeffreyj

TheRookie wrote:For info, the printed pressures are 'very safe' and almost always far harder than you need or want.

^ Much agreed. If it says run 80psi for my weight, I usually end up preferring closer to 65-70psi. Also, a changed of 1-2psi does make a difference, as well as 1-2 clicks of rebound, so play around for a few minutes trying some different pressure/rebound clicks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com