training wheels for xx1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ophiravina

by ophiravina

A friend of mine bought a new bike that comes stock with carbon wheels and xx1 drivetrain.
after riding the bike a few times he decided that he wants to buy cheap training wheels so he could enjoy destroying them while training :twisted: and keep the carbon wheels for races. but cheap and xx1 doesn't go together...
he looked in a lot of bike shops for cheap wheels with xd driver body, but he couldn't find any. what do you ride while training? what do you recomend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fxrextreme

by fxrextreme

what do you call cheap?
1987 ridgeback 604 deore
1990 scott pro only
2002 gt i drive
2006 haro ex 1
2013 foes fxr extreme

Krackor

by Krackor

Get a normal Shimano-splined hub and run a cheap 10-speed cassette. Screw in the limit screws appropriately and run 1x10.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

Krackor wrote:Get a normal Shimano-splined hub and run a cheap 10-speed cassette. Screw in the limit screws appropriately and run 1x10.

he wouldn't do it becouse he wants to use them as spair wheels for races too, and also, what's the point of buying xx1 if you will use it as 1x10?! :?

fxrextreme wrote:what do you call cheap?

I think around 250-500$, we didnt realy talk about how much money beacouse there are not a lot of options, I just want to know what you use and if you found somthing that is reliable and isn't too expensive. the weight doesn't matter, just need to be a strong wheel...

maybe the roam 30 from sram?

mattr

by mattr

Get a 10 speed shimano hubbed wheel, wait until xtr 11 cassettes are available. (Got to be cheaper than xD driver and XX1 cassette.........)

scott91

by scott91

^ that's a good recommendation. But you don't have to wait, xtr9000 cassettes are already available.

I have the reverse set up. XTR9000 derailleur, shifter etc.. XO1 cassette on my training wheels. XTR9000 cassette on my carbon race wheels.

mattr

by mattr

Ah. Ok.

I'm avoiding even looking at it. Don't need more temptation.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Get wheelset with Novatec D712 hubs and get xd body (around 30 euro) - cheap.

stuka666

by stuka666

Or crossride 29 with the xd body?

The biggest cost is having 2 cassettes.. don't like the idea of changing the cassette many times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffreyj

by jeffreyj

My XX1 bike came with DT Swiss X1700 wheels. Fairly light at 1700g, but can be found fairly cheap as take offs too. They actually feel pretty good/stiff too, just want a wider rim.

Once I get my carbon wheels, these will become my training/road wheels. Since they use center lock rotors, I'll just keep them ready to go with tires, but I'll likely just swap the cassette around as those get a wee bit pricey!