lightweight rotors vs ice tech

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fwinns

by Fwinns

Without going to really light weight rotors like kcnc or ashima, how do HSX rotors (2 piece rotors from avid for XX brakes) compare to 6 bolts icetech from shimano? They are about 20g lighter, but is there some heat dissipation issue? Not a big problem on XC races, but could be a problem during marathon races with long descents

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basilic

by basilic

mattr wrote:Or do you mean light weight rotors?

lightweight is a word ;-) like specialized, trek, giant...
oxford dictionary

muntos

by muntos

Fwinns wrote:Without going to really light weight rotors like kcnc or ashima, how do HSX rotors (2 piece rotors from avid for XX brakes) compare to 6 bolts icetech from shimano? They are about 20g lighter, but is there some heat dissipation issue? Not a big problem on XC races, but could be a problem during marathon races with long descents

They are not 20g lighter, 160mm HSX vs XT ( 98g reported vs 113g weighted) and on 180mm the difference is even smaller (126g reported vs 131g weighted)

mattr

by mattr

basilic wrote:lightweight is a word ;-)
And context is everything....

Fwinns

by Fwinns

muntos wrote:
Fwinns wrote:Without going to really light weight rotors like kcnc or ashima, how do HSX rotors (2 piece rotors from avid for XX brakes) compare to 6 bolts icetech from shimano? They are about 20g lighter, but is there some heat dissipation issue? Not a big problem on XC races, but could be a problem during marathon races with long descents

They are not 20g lighter, 160mm HSX vs XT ( 98g reported vs 113g weighted) and on 180mm the difference is even smaller (126g reported vs 131g weighted)

My bad, I was comparing it to RT76 (non icetech) that weighs quite a bit more (143g reported). I'll go with RT86 then. Thanks!

muntos

by muntos

Fwinns wrote:
muntos wrote:

My bad, I was comparing it to RT76 (non icetech) that weighs quite a bit more (143g reported). I'll go with RT86 then. Thanks!

You're welcome ;)!

Rider10

by Rider10

muntos wrote:...They are not 20g lighter, 160mm HSX vs XT ( 98g reported vs 113g weighted) and on 180mm the difference is even smaller (126g reported vs 131g weighted)

Are you sure? Which HSX rotors did you have? I have worn out many HSX Rotors in 160mm and they all have weighed 98g +/- 1g.

IMHO the HSX rotors are the best heat shedding rotors for their weight. I've found them to have the same heat dissappation capabilities as the Shimano RT86 ice tech rotors, do not pulse and are 11g lighter than the ice-techs (mine weighed 109g in 160mm/6-bolt config).

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Rider10 wrote:
muntos wrote:...They are not 20g lighter, 160mm HSX vs XT ( 98g reported vs 113g weighted) and on 180mm the difference is even smaller (126g reported vs 131g weighted)

Are you sure? Which HSX rotors did you have? I have worn out many HSX Rotors in 160mm and they all have weighed 98g +/- 1g.

I'm sure he is sure as (XT)113g-20g is 93g, so at 98g the HSX are not 20g lighter are they? They are only 15g lighter than the XT.

I'll stick with my A2Z at 89g (160mm) as that is 24g lighter than the icetech and cheaper than both that and the HSX.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Rider10

by Rider10

Apologies. The way I read his comment I thought he was saying he weighed the HSX at 113g as opposed to the manf. claim of 98g.

Which A2Z do you have and what are the like in the big mountains? I've tried just about every type of lightweight rotor: KCNC razor, Ashima AiRotor, Alligator Aeries, Hope X2, Hygia SLP... the list goes on and while they are all light, they do have a tendency to overheat on really long descents. For normal XC riding they are all OK, although some have a tendency to pulse or have less modulation than the more solid rotors like the HSX or Ice Techs.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I have the SPV-160 spade as on this page http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products_02teppan.html

On descents I can't discern any difference between that and the Avid Cleansweep I had on before (also 160mm), the actual brake surface is not of a 'barely there' lightweight design, weight saving comes mostly from the alloy spider, its not a floating design so compact mounting points and I've not have any clearance issues to my Shimano callipers. No pulsing either which I do get from my lightweight (alligator) rear. As a 160 it does occasionally get hot on long descents (not had it 'overheat' to the point where braking was noticeably affected, but it is an XC bike) but no more so than the Avid did, if you want more heat capacity you'd go to a 180 which is the same weight as an Icetech 160 (113g) as it happens.

Liggero

by Liggero

ultra light rotors, like the kcnc, suck big time. that being said, a decent light rotor, with a ceramic brake pads, that work better with heat disipation, brake more than well for XC race use, or marathon. Shimano discs are a great idea, they perform awesomely for sure, but they are way too heavy. Shimano brakes are the best perfromers also. that being said, I would choose a chinese lightish rotors, and a pair of good old formula R1, any time, any day.
Happy Trails !!!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tektro steel 160mm rotors from there spyre brakes are 100g cheap too.

TheRookie

by TheRookie