formula rx vs shimano xt

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ophiravina

by ophiravina

hello,
I wanted to know if any of you have expirience with both the xt brakes and the formula rx?
I have the xt on my bike and I like them, they are very good brakes...
but I can get a good deal on the rx brakes and they will save me 80 grams (about 0.86$ for gram). what do you think about this change?
how does the rx compare to the xt in terms of performance?

thank you :-)

Tomstr

by Tomstr

The Oro's are quite poor, the Rx is a redesign and is up to the job. I've swapped from Oro's and old XTR's to Rx'es and it's been perfect. They work well on Hope floating discs and XTR rotors with standard pads.
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ophiravina

by ophiravina

thank you both,
I think I'll pass on the formula brakes for now, I think that brakes are one of the most importent places on the bike for performance before weight. and if there is only one person here who tried and liked the rx brakes it probably mean that they are not so successful ;-).
I would be happy to hear more reviews, and if anyone tried both (the xt and the rx) it would be great :-)
also, I didn't found any demo bike with those brakes, so I cant try them before purchasing...

prodigy

by prodigy

I tried both brakes and in my opinion the Shimano XT brakes win hands down. Used them for 2 years on my enduro bike and they were flawless. Formula RX brakes were used on cross country bike for a year, before I changed them for Shimano SLX. I can't say that they were bad, but compared to Shimano, they were not at the same level. Towards the end of using the Formula brakes, I needed to bleed them more often in order to have the same bite point and bite force. The Shimano's were bled only once, and went through 4 or 5 sets of pads. If you want to lighten Shimano brakes, I suggest you swap the Ice Tech discs (mine only lasted 8 months) for some lighter ones.

commendatore

by commendatore

Is there a good alternative to XT brakes at this point? I think the performance is phenomenal for the price point they hit (~$200 US) although they could stand to be a bit lighter...

prodigy

by prodigy

There's SLX, or if you're really on a budget Deore.
Otherwise you can also search for a second hand SLX, as they are quite bulletproof.

I don't think there isn't any alternative to Shimano brakes, price and performance wise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com