Carbon fork on a 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mamasita29er

by Mamasita29er

I live in Tampa Florida and I've been considering a carbon fork. I ride a Mamasita 29er Hardtail and I really wanna try some rigid forks.

Can someone give me some feedback on what should I expect from this change?

Any info would be appreciate it!

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

:smartass:
Drop ~2 lbs- Check
Electric climbing/acceleration- Check
W/ lower tire pressure okay over small chatter- Check
Wrist jarring over rough chatter and big hits - Check

Is it worth it? :noidea:

In flat fast Florida I would try it. Even more so if you find you self riding locked out all the time. :beerchug:

AdyM

by AdyM

I ride a 29er carbon rigid - not the lightest build, just under 9kgs now.
I love it, I love the response you get from the front end in corners. Yeah ok, it's more uncomfortable over rough stuff, but that just depends where you ride/ how long your rides are going to be.

This was also my first 29er, and I can definitely feel the effect the larger wheels have. One thing I did with my build was spec wide (quite heavy wheels - about 1900g for the set) just because I wanted them to be able to cope with the bigger hits.

Also, I have the kinesis XI fork with 15mm thru axle. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Getter

by Getter

I couldn't handle it. Yes the quicker steering, better climbing, lighter, yadda, yadda...

I soon realized that I couldn't plow through stuff...and a lot of times the most fun line...isn't the smoothest one. Descending wasn't that fun. My hands hurt. I put my Fox fork back on after a few rides.